How do I use ALT+NumPad for special characters which worked until last update, the unicode method or manual insert is just too ridiculously slow!

How do I use ALT+NumPad for special characters which worked until last update, the unicode method or manual insert is just too ridiculously slow.

While at it, did they ever fix the track change where the changes automatically created some green doubled-underlined that were nonsensical?

Bug tdf#158112

You can follow my answer here, [regression] cannot enter alt+number codes for unicode symbols anymore after updating to LibreOffice 7.6.3.2 - #9 by EarnestAl

But read through the conversation for other methods, such as using Autocorrect which might already be populated with the characters you want to use. Note also that if the Unicode is still obvious you can omit leading zeros, for example, to enter μ you should type U+03bc and press Alt+X but if unambiguous then even 3bc then Alt+X will work

1 Like

Thanks. Do you know what the last version was that supported ALT+numpad?

Did you follow the link? You can remove the current Alt+Number shortcuts for the current versions of LibreOffice, allowing the Windows-only shortcuts to work

The first question here was 14 or 15 days ago so whatever version was before these. See ReleasePlan - The Document Foundation Wiki

Thanks. I had deleted these before posting the question. Exited out and they were back.

Maybe save the .cnfg file somewhere? But even when deleted, the ALT+numpad doesn’t produce the characters I need.

You must be using Windows as your operating system because that is where the Alt codes originate.

Make sure Num Lock is toggled to numbers.

You need to remove the LibreOffice shortcuts in Writer and in LibreOffice, see the radio button at the top left for selection.

Alt+NumPad is Window$-specific. It is managed by the OS. This may be intercepted by applications.

The LO way of inserting Unicode special characters is typing “U+<hexa_code>” (without the quotes) followed by Alt+X.

• if there is no ambiguity with the characters preceding “U+”, i.e. they are not 0-9, a-f, A-F, you can omit “U+”
  • note that the character encoding is hexadecimal while the Window$ method uses decimal and you press Alt+X after writing the encoding
  • the Window$ decimal code is partly inherited from the time when character sets were defined by “pages”, e.g. CP1252 for Western European letters, containing only 256 positions; the decimal encoding does not necessarily (and very often does not) correspond to the Unicode encoding

Note: when asking here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format.

It’s win10 and Version: 7.6.4.1 LibreOffice
ALT + NumPad works in everything except LO. So how can I make it work in LO. I am not interested in Unicode which takes ridiculously longer.

I hate giving MS money, but LO is really on a bad streak as of late.

On Win! LibreOffice is multi-platform.

???
It’s mainly a matter of knowing. If you know the unicode for a Ð (U+00D0), you simply type d0 or D0 followed by Ctrl+X Alt+X. (Many thanks to @LeroyG for the correction!) What “takes ridiculously longer” here than Alt+208 ? (If this works at all on Win. For me it wrongly results in the lower case letter ð with LibO 6.4.5 and with the Win-10 “Editor” as well. Should be Alt+240.)

If you once know, the proceeding will work under Win, but also under all the other supported systems.

In addition: If the issue you see is just meaningful for your local install (user profile), you can also get shortcuts for your special characters with the help of AutoText or AutoCorrect options: Replace.

???
Anyway: If you want MS junk, you should buy it.