How do the users here move a comment to answers?

This began in another question, trying to move a comment to answers, without sucess.

ajlittoz: Make your comment an answer
LeroyG: I’m not allowed
ajlittoz: it looks like you’ve done it
LeroyG: I deleted my comment after I copied it as an answer.
LeroyG: When I click on Move to Answers, it appear a dialog with You are not permitted to view the requested resource and an OK button. I remember to have moved a comment to answer, maybe on Windows. Now I am navigating with Firefox (78.7) on openSUSE Leap 15.1.
ajlittoz: same for me, I just checked (Firefox 93.0, Fedora 34)

2 Likes

What is the advantage of “moving” the comment instead of copying and pasting and then optionally deleting it?

By the way, I do see the option under admin actions, and no, it didn’t work for me either.

It’s supposed to be more user-friendly (one-click only).

We had a similar feature (but working!) under AskBot with “Repost as xyz”.

Presently, this site is not tidy at all. The difference between answers (solutions) and comments is not enhanced enough by CSS (or is it intrinsic to Discourse?). As I can see, most newcomers take this site as a forum, i.e. composed of interactive discussions, whereas we try to foster a Question & Answers paradigm. In a “pure” Q&A, questions get edited and refined until they are “complete” and self-sufficient so that a newcomer immediately grasps the gist of it without the need to read a thread. Same for answers.

I linked this question to my feedback topic.

1 Like

Maybe it will keep its post order number and quote link (?) to later comments. Need to test (when it works).

One year, and still don’t work.
Here with Firefox 106.0 on Windows 10.0.
Later will test on Linux.

This is not a browser or OS issue. See Task #2952: Evaluate Discourse - Infrastructure - The Document Foundation Redmine and my reply at #note-65. This might be possible with the replacement plugin but it’s seems too early to deploy in production just yet. Can try on the stage instance though.

2 Likes

For me the main advantage would be that something that is more user-friendly is more likely to be used by users.

Another potential advantage would be that, once working and tested the promotion of a comment to an answer could be restricted to only the OP and people with a high TL. That works well on other forums, because it is up to the OP to say if their original issue that brought them here has actually been answered. That in turn would offer the following advantages

1 It would mean that experts who give an answer that is less useful to a newcomer would miss out on credit for answers that are technically correct but far too complicated for the newcomer.
2. Likewise it would mean that an overly simplistic answer that misses essential complexity would also not get credit for those answers
3. The first two points, taken together, would mean that credit for questions answered would depend more than at present on the ability of the responder to assess the skill level of the questioner, and then to act on it.

In my personal opinion the empathic talent that would be recognised for the first time by such a change is the primary requisite to be answering questions here.

Expertise in debugging user errors is very important, but is still, for me, a very important second to actually delivering an answer that the OP can understand.

… and I would add to the requests already made by others to put this on the “to do” or “feature request” list. If someone will respond with a brief message telling me where and how I would add this request to the list, or bump it if it is already there, that would be warmly appreciated

1 Like