How to add change to a different Page Style?

I tried following the instructions to create a new page style called “Chapter Page” which is just a page without the header or footer and the next style is Default Page Style. I will put the chapter title on this page. I created this “Chapter Page” page style and I have an existing page which uses the Default Page Style and I would like to change it to “Chapter Page”. When I double click “Chapter Page” from the list of Page Styles, it is suppose to change to Chapter Page, right? Well it doesn’t. It remains as Default Page Style. How do I change the current page to Chapter Page? TIA

Win 10 using LO 7.4.7.2

This question has been answered many times. have you searched the site?
One very important factor is missing in your description: save format. What I write below is valid only for .odt. If your document is .doc(x), no chance because M$ Word is based on different principles and has no notion of page styles.

A page style applies to a sequence of pages delimited by an “explicit” boundary. This boundary is a special page break created by Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break where you can choose which page style to apply after the break. This page still is active until the next boundary.

This is for the basics. Page style switch can be automated in various ways.

In the case of Chapter PageDefault Page Style, configure Chapter Page so that it is always followed by Default Page Style. This is Next style parameter in Organizer tab. Then when bottom of page is reached (by filing page with text) or when an “ordinary” Ctrl+Enter page break is met, switch to Default Page Style occurs.

Your chapter title is probably formatted with a specific paragraph style; e.g. built-in Heading 1. Customise Text Flow tab so that a page break is automatically inserted before the paragraph, forcing a switch to Chapter Page. All you have to do is apply Heading 1 or Ctrl+1 to your title and everything is put in place.

Thanks for your quick reply. Just to confirm, I’m using ODT and I was trying to use the instructions in the LO Writer manual to implement the page style and it wasn’t working.
Your instructions did not work in my current document because I think I mucked it up too badly by following the instructions in the manual. So I started over with a new ODT document, added a few pages, and used your steps and it worked just fine! I had a backup of my large document before I attempted this with the manual instructions, so I opened up the backup for my document and your instructions worked just great. Thanks again. :slight_smile: