How to change color of bullets in Unordered List in a Table?

In LibreOffice Writer 7.2.4.1 I am trying to create an unordered list in a table, but when I use a standard bullet (like the black dot), I do not see the bullet as it seems to be of white color, and the background is also white.

How do I change the color of the bullet? I do not want to use a different colored bullet, I just want to change the color of a standard bullet.

How exactly to do this?

alex63622text added by Grantler from answer box:
You have to select the whole text including the bullets, and apply the color of your choice (e.g. black). Also, even if you do not select the first bullet, it is selected (!??!?!?).

Since this may seem to depend on the procedure you follow, describe how you create your bulleted list.
Also to better diagnose, attach a sample file experiencing the issue.

Upload a sample file for better understanding/examining.

What do you see in Print Preview (Ctrl+Shift+O)?

It makes me think of a Word document.

Not sure if you You can set a different bullet color with styles (see @ajlittoz comment below).

This will be much better than that what’s next.

To set manually a different color to bullets:

1. change the list font color to the bullet color
  2. add a space¹ at the beginning² of each list item (Find “^(.)” and Replace with " $1")
  3. change the color to each item text excluding the added space/character (I don’t know a Find option here)
  4. delete the space added at the second step (Find "^ " and Replace with “”)

¹ Instead of space, you can use other character; then modify accordingly the Replace value in step 2, and the Find value in step 4.
² Also can be at the end of each list item. Then, in step 2 must change Find to “(.)$” and Replace to "$1 “; and in step 4 change Find to " $”.

Last EDIT to add a screenshot.

Very easy provided the document is really an .odt, not a .doc(x) and list styles are used. Note it can also be done with Format>Bullets & Numbering but it is less stable because it is akin to direct formatting.

You must also know what a character style is.

Open your list style for modification and go to Customize tab. Select a Character style you have previously created for the bullet. This customisation can be done individually for every level of the list (or select the 1-10 level to set them all simultaneously).

You set the colour in the character style Font Effects tab.

As mentioned earlier, you can also do it on Format>Bullets & Numbering but this will have effect only on “manual” lists, more specifically the current one. Since this is direct formatting, you’ll meet big difficulties when reviewing your document.

1 Like

Transferred to original question by Grantler