How to change PDF to Writer file?

Hi,
After opening a PDF file in LO Draw I would like to Save it as a Writer file, so I could change later text in it in Writer. Is there a way to do this? It’s difficult to format and change text in Draw. Is there maybe some kind of Extenstion for it?

Thanks for help.
Luke

Hi,
probably it is better for you to copy/paste text from the PDF file into a Writer file as unformatted. You could erase the trailing paragraphs ¶ (Pilcrow) with AltSearch.oxt. For some kinds of text this may be a sufficient solution.
You surely can copy some text from a “ripped” PDF file in Draw into Writer. Before that you can work on Consolidate Text in Draw to connect some single text lines into a larger text box.
For some difficult cases a paid program like Abbyy Finereader could be the easiest and best solution (e.g. for tables)…
For some purposes www.zamzar.com could be a reasonable environment as well…

If you want to preserve parts of the layout, and to get the text pieces into frames instead of shapes, you can use so-called OCR. (My old IRIS Reader, e.g, handles pdf pretty well.) However, The text will still be fragmented, and no proper textflow created. And there is no tool like Consolidate Text for frames.
Also: If you want to export to pdf for persons not having a LibrOffice on their systems, you can use the ‘Hybrid’ version with the odt embedded. A pdf reader will then see the pdf while a user of Writer can open the file in Writer, edit it, and save it to a hybrid pdf again if wanted. There are possible disadvantages, of course.

IMHO there is none, but Mike Kaganski linked a “concept” in the thread I give below. Note, there are a lot of pdfs out there, where nothing but OCR works, as they only contain scanned pictures of text.

There is no built-in way to do it.

PDF is a display format, not a processing format. All flow information is lost. What you see is a collection of unrelated text boxes containing homogeneous text (same fontface, weight, size, …). At best, you can recover these bits as separate pargraphs and you’ll have to rebuild the original paragraphs by merging bits. Also, styling information is lost: page, paragraph, character.

Making a Writer document from PDF is possible but this is mainly a manual task. Raw text can be pasted as unformatted. From there on, you recreate the real paragraphs and reformat the text. Refrain from direct formatting. It is not faster than a more systemic approach with styles. Working with styles is easier when it comes to fix formatting errors.

Ok, I figured out I can do this task in Google Docs and the result is good for me.
So the topic is closed.

Thank you for your effort.