How to change the default font size in Calc. (Yes again.)

I have gone thru a number of threads about this here but either I am missing something or the answers do not work in 2024. My problem is that I am older and the default font size in calc is set to small. Thus I have difficulty seeing and correcting errors. Thus I have to set the font size for every cell I type in. So how can I change the default font size in Calc?

I have set and saved a default template, I thought with the font size I want selected. But that only works for cells I have already used. I still have to set the font size for every new cell I type in. This is a real productivity killer. What I an I doing wrong or what am I missing?

OK there are older people that use spreadsheets. Does it require a bug report to get a more older person friendly way of doing this? If so I can file a but report. As long as the font is large enough for my old eyes. :grinning:

My saved template:

Have you considered changing the screen resolution so everything is bigger including the formula bar?

In Windows, click Start menu - Settings - System - Display - Scale & Layout - Scale and increase the percentage to one of the ones in the drop down selection.

If you really just want to change the default font size for all cells in a new spreadsheet then

• Open a new spreadsheet
  • In the sidebar, select the Styles page, Cell styles pane
  • Right click on Default and select Edit Style
  • In the Fonts tab, set the font size to your desired size and Ok
  • Click File - Templates - Save as Template. Give it a name and tick the box Set as default template. Save
1 Like

I think you have missed a step in the instructions where you also commented.

create a template having assigned your font and size to the 'Default’ cell style

Open a new Calc spreadsheet and go to the Style panel - F11 or View |Styles; optionally select Applied Styles from the drop down at the bottom - this will show only the Default style.

Right click on Default Style and choose Edit Style. Select the Font tab and make such alterations as you need. If there are other defaults you want to change, make those changes as well.

This Help page will guide you on setting a default template.

Note that changing font size will also affect printed documents. If that is an issue, or the above method of changing default font size is all too hard, you may find that simply adjusting the zoom level on your documents may suffice. You can do this via View | Zoom, by holding Ctrl and using the scroll wheel on your mouse, or via the Zoom slider on the bottom right of the Status Bar.

zoom

Note that the modified zoom level is applied only to the document to which it is applied; you would need to set each of your documents separately.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I am learning.

I open and it has the font size I want:

Until I go to an unused cell to type something new:

Again what am I missing or what am I doing wrong?

Uh, I do not believe this. Apparently one has to set the font size for every column and then save your template.

Is there really no way to do this with one setting?