How to create a negative exponent using Math editor

Hello,

I am using Math editor from LO Writer to write chemical formulas.

I manage to create any formula no matter how convoluted it might be, but what I can´t do is to put either the minus (-) or plus (+) sign as an exponent. For example, I can’t write using Math editor either hydroxide ion or hydronium ion concentrations:

[OH-] or [H3O+]

Any clues how could I do it using Math editor?

Thanks

OH^"-" or H_{3}O^"+"

The quotes around - or + are necessary because they are operators and expect operands. The quotes make them text without significance, thus avoiding a syntax error. Similarly the curly brackets { } delimit the extent of subscript expression.

1 Like

The hyphen is not nice as minus-sign. You should use U+2212. The tool “Toggle Unicode Notation” works in the Math-Editor as well. You only need to add it to a toolbar. To do that, you need to open a formula directly without being embedded in a document. That is File > New > Formula. After that it will be available for embedded formulas too.

2 Likes

Typing “U+2212” followed by Alt+x works in all LO components, in Math too as the shortcut is defined globally for LibreOffice by default. No need to “add” it to a toolbar.

2 Likes