How to Import Python script into LibreOffice Calc and run with a macro

Hi. I have a python script that gets data every 0.2s from the serial port.
I want to have this data and a date+time stamp dumped into advacent columns across one row,
then, the next set of data be put into the wor below.

1. I’ve put my script (My_script.py) into the …LibreOffice\share\Scripts
    folder, but when I 'Tools > Macros > Organise Macros ? Python…
    then I see my script presented as a ‘folder’ and not a runable script with the purple scroll icon.
    How can I get my script to be a runable script and not a ‘folder’

2. I tried some of the standard scripts and they wrote Information into LibreOffice Write!
    I examined the code to see if I could tweak it to dump stuff into Calc, I didn’t understand
    the code enough to modify it

3. Re tweaked code in 2), I realise I’m going to struggle to be able to get it to control where
    the python script dumps the info into calc. What python commands “know” how to dump data into
    Calc cells and at certain positions?

I can do all this - data logging - in Excel, but I’m tying to leave the world of Microsoft.

HI,

your macro.py file should be stored in /OSdependent/.config/libreoffice/4/user/Scripts/python/ create python folder if not present

You can benefit from installing the extensions APSO and MRI, enter them as searchterm in the extension manager. With APSO you can get direct access to the python macros and execute them SHFT+ALT+F11. There are issues with MRI, if it doesn’t work check the answer (Update mri 'Error reading from internet' (Solved)) and download from github. With MRI you can inspect methods and properties during runtime of the macro.

You can also check link text for inspiration. See sample code below to MRI an object and write output to a writer document print.odt stored in your work directory.
If you return to tis post, include your operating system

Thanks for the input. I’m using Libre Office 7.1.1.2 (2nd April 2021) On installing the APSO, the shortcut keys don’t work and choose python organiser from the Tools menu don’t do anything. MRI couldn’t be installed (‘bad file’) error message. Both extensions (never knew they existed before today) look useful, however so I’ll try some more, and maybe the enigmatic UNO thing will begin to bake sense to me.
If I can’t do this all with a python script, I wonder if it me doable with LibreOffice BASIC? Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

RE. 1), this will be related to syntax errors. If there is an irregular indent, a missing : after an if / else / for statement,you will not be able to select a function present in the foo.py file. This is, when accessing with the Tools > Macro >… I’m satisfied with eric6 editor, showing warnings and critical errors in advance. A few MB
(When accessing the macro through the APSO extension (alternative route) you will get a syntax warning !)
With the code snippet, you can insert text / numbers in calc, see also the wiki document foundation

sheet = XSCRIPTCONTEXT.getDocument().getSheets().getByIndex(0)
 #   mri(sheet)
    import datetime
    cell = sheet.getCellByPosition(0,0)  # = A1
    cell.setString("overhere")
    dat = datetime.datetime.now().strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H-%M-%S")
    cell = sheet.getCellByPosition(2,0)  # format row C as date
    cell.setString(dat)   # for numbers use cell.setValue(.2)
import uno   #copy>pasted, not checked for 'smaller' errors
import os

def study() :
    D = writer_print()
    D.writeLine("adfdsa",3.89891)

ctx = uno.getComponentContext()
smgr = ctx.ServiceManager
StarDeskTop = smgr.createInstanceWithContext( "com.sun.star.frame.Desktop",ctx)
dispatcher = smgr.createInstanceWithContext( "com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper",ctx ) 

com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_PARAGRAPH_BREAK  = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.PARAGRAPH_BREAK" ) 
com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_LINE_BREAK       = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.LINE_BREAK" ) 
com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_HARD_HYPHEN      = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.HARD_HYPHEN" ) 
com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_SOFT_HYPHEN      = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.SOFT_HYPHEN" ) 
com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_HARD_SPACE       = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.HARD_SPACE" ) 
com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_APPEND_PARAGRAPH = uno.getConstantByName( "com.sun.star.text.ControlCharacter.APPEND_PARAGRAPH" ) 

from com.sun.star.beans import PropertyValue

class writer_print(): 
    """A class which allows conveniently printing stuff into a Writer document. 
    Very useful for debugging, general output purposes, or even for creating reports.
    Adapted from https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/PrinttoWriter.py""" 

def __init__( self ): 
        desktop = smgr.createInstanceWithContext('com.sun.star.frame.Desktop', ctx)

for doc in desktop.getComponents():

if doc.Title=="print.odt":
                break
        else:
            pathSettings = smgr.createInstanceWithContext( "com.sun.star.util.PathSettings",ctx ) 
            i = pathSettings.Work.find("//")
            cwd = ( pathSettings.Work  )[i+2:]      # get user work directory in OS terms
            name = uno.systemPathToFileUrl( os.path.join( cwd , "print.odt") )
            doc = StarDeskTop.loadComponentFromURL( name , "_blank", 0,() )

win = doc.getCurrentController().getFrame().getComponentWindow()
        win.setFocus()      

self.oWriterDoc = doc

self.oWriterText = self.oWriterDoc.getText() 
        self.oWriterCursor = self.oWriterText.createTextCursor()
        self.oWriterCursor.Start

def writeLine( self, *args ): 
        if len( args ) > 0: 
            self.write( *args ) 
        self.writeParagraphBreak()

def write( self, arg1, *argsRest ): 
        self.writeOne( arg1 ) 
        for arg in argsRest: 
            self.writeTab() 
            self.writeOne( arg ) 

def writeOne( self, arg, bAbsorb=False ): 
        if type(arg) == list:
            expand = []
            for el in arg:
                if type(el) != str:
                    el = round(el,2)
                expand.append(el)                   
            out = ""            
            for el in expand:
                out += str(el) + ","
            arg = out
        elif type(arg) != str:
            arg = arg #round(arg,2)
        self.writeString( "  " + str( arg ), bAbsorb ) 

def writeTab( self, bAbsorb=False ): 
        self.writeString( "\t", bAbsorb ) 

def writeParagraphBreak( self, bAbsorb=False ): 
        self.writeControlCharacter( com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_PARAGRAPH_BREAK, bAbsorb ) 
#         self.writeControlCharacter( com_sun_star_text_ControlCharacter_LINE_BREAK, bAbsorb ) 

def writeString( self, cString, bAbsorb=False ): 
        self.oWriterText.insertString( self.oWriterCursor, cString, bAbsorb ) 

def writeControlCharacter( self, nCtrlChar, bAbsorb=False ): 
        self.oWriterText.insertControlCharacter( self.oWriterCursor, nCtrlChar, bAbsorb ) 

def writeEnd(self,character="="):
        self.oWriterCursor.End
        self.writeString( 60*character+"<")

def mri( target):
    mri = ctx.ServiceManager.createInstanceWithContext( "mytools.Mri",ctx)
    mri.inspect(target)

def calc():
    fLoad = uno.systemPathToFileUrl( "file://...." , fileTemplate) )
    document = StarDeskTop.loadComponentFromURL( fLoad , "_blank", 0, () ) 

frame = document.getSheets().getByIndex(0)
    mri(frame)
    cell = frame.getCellByPosition(0,0)  # = A1
    cellByName = cell.getString()        # the contents of cell A1

Wow. I am so appreciative of you spending all that effort to help.
There’s a lot here to probe, so I’ll get back as soon as I can on this.
(Admins, please don’t lock this question yet, tq)
Update… 2/Apr/2021:
Had to leave LO for a while. Still working on this issue. Please continue to leave open. Tq.