How to keep image anchor in place?

When I read the description, I also had this thought. But the screenshots seem to imply that the two-column design is for the text, and the images are not in the text flow, but are on a large right-side space.

@cgidesign - in the current state of Writer (if you wanted to use it), you should simply abandon mouse-dragging, and do it completely using dialog.

While the absence of a useful manual control is bad, it’s not like “Writer ignores user’s decision”; it’s more like “Writer considers your actions (dragging) as a combined movement of the object and its anchor, and respects this user decision”. However uncomfortable that is.

@cgidesign

Or rather lock your image inside a frame and apply a frame style. From my experiment, a single carefully crafted frame style would give you the expected layout. Applying a style is very easy: select the object and double-click on the style name in the side stylepane. It is even simpler than manually positioning it.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand this piece. Why not just apply the frame style to the image itself? Likely I am overlooking some detail.

@cgidesign In your case, the vertical positioning should be relative to character, and horizontal should be relative to page, or to its text area (say, right of page text area). This implemented as a frame style, a @ajlittoz suggests, would automate your task.

For a reason I don’t understand, images are now drawing objects (while I think they were frames by themselves in the past) and you can’t apply frame styles to them (selection icon in the stylepane toolbar is grayed out). You can of course apply the same parameters to a drawing object through the contextual menu but you lose the automation and versatility of frame styles.

See the EDIT in my answer above where I explain the procedure.

Ah, I see. IMO, the easiest for OP would be to rectify the image insertion procedure, to just paste images, not do whatever it takes to make them drawing objects.

Oh, then I am sorry that I missunderstood your remark. If it is a bug then everything else works like I described it in the listing. When I set the frame options as I need them, the position stays where I want it - only the anchor jumps around on its own.
Am I expected to write a bug ticket somewhere?
To the other comments: The draw frame vs. normal frame was just to test how the shadow effect created in Draw looks - Writer seems to only offer a non blurred shadow - the jumping anchor is not dependent on the frame type, it happens with both of them. All the rest I already have in place. Positioning works; it is only the anchor that is missing - and as this is considered a bug, I can’t solve this at the moment.
The table idea would work if I would not already know that there will be images that go into the text. I think this type of layout won’t work with tables.
The more I play with the mockup, the more I think a DTP software is the right tool for this.
I appreciate all your constructive input.

Not in this case, as you can find the bug-reports already in the first comment directly below your question. It seems you didn’t follow the links…

Interesting - I missed those links. It seems they where posted after the thread was already ongoing but still appeared at the top of the thread. Maybe I missed them because I normally quickly scroll down ongoing threads.
Anyway, marked the links as solution now, as they confirm the anchor position issue is simply a bug.

Merit and curse of this site: The idea is to have a simple question 2*2 = ? and you get multiple answers 4 4.0 4,0 1+1+1+1 then you choose the best answer for you as solution, but others can up- and downvote answers. Then answers are re-ordered accordingly, while comments stay in sequence, but start at query or answer.
So an ask-site is not the typical forum.

You must understand this site is not a forum. It is a Question & Answer one were contributions are “constantly” reordered. A topic is made of several parts: the question itself and answers. Each part may be commented independently, i.e. a comment is inserted where relevant: to the question when it is “general”, to an answer when it is related to this answer and its development. Each part is a similar to a “thread” in a forum, but the order in which the parts appear change according to votes so that the one with the higher score is listed first.

Consequently, you must pay attention to the “age” of the contribution at its right upper corner.