How to set "always recover and always finish"

I use calc a lot, I have it on autosave and I have never lost data. If I forget to close a file and I shut down, or if I have a power outage, when I start up a ods file again having left a file open it always stops the process of opening the file I want in order to ask me if i want to recover previous files. It then churns away and a few moments later it asks me if I want to “finish” the recovery. I always say yes to both questions, and, not experiencing this behaviour in any other piece of software I use, I find this incredibly frustrating.

Is there any way I can tell calc to skip both questions every time and just open the file I want?

Thanks!

• Dave

Because most other software has no autosave and can’t restore an interim version of a document in case it crashed? Isn’t that nice of LibreOffice to ask? If you want to avoid the question then save and close the document and best also quit the program before you shut down the machine.

1 Like

Relying on a safety feature instead of proper closing is going to end in tears one day. You’ll find a few questions on this site about how to recover data after such a crash down.

Question has modified procedure so this comment no longer applies. Cheers, Al

2 Likes

Does this mean there is no way to avoid this?

(I have very good backup scripts I use for this and other data, so I would rather turn this feature off)

Question has been modified to a different procedure so the original comment here no longer applies. Cheers, Al

2 Likes

If I’m so incredibly stupid for wanting to make it easier to use this software, why are there no other widely used pieces of software that does this?

This attitude smacks of Steve Jobs: “you don’t really know what you want - I’ll tell you what you want” Isn’t open source about freedom?

Isn’t open source about freedom?

Yes, it is.

If this matter is so important to you, you should write a proposal for change.

To do this, please report the behavior in Bugzilla .

See also:

How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice (and proposal for change)
Please announce the link from the bug here.
To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.

Additionally: Recover unsaved document? - #4 by LeroyG

Thank you. I thought of that but thought step 1 should be to establish if there’s already a method in existence to skip the recovery process already.

voila!

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145606

Here you are free to modify the code to your needs. Freedom doesn’t imply the power to command somebody to do this for you.

Maybe I’m not understanding this feature. Is there ever a situation where a person wouldn’t want to answer yes in both instances? The reason I want to skip is is because its like if I turned the key to start my car and the car said to me “are you sure you want to start this car?” and I say yes, and then it says “are you really sure?”

In other words, why would anyone not want to recover the file? and once that’s done, why would anyone not want to “finish” the process and finally open the file he was initially attempting to open?

LO used to do that but if there was an unrecoverable file LO would go into an endless loop of crashing, trying to recover, crashing…
Requiring manual input allows the user to break such a cycle by by saying “don’t recover”.

I regularly skip this, because it doesn’t mean forget the file, but last saved version is good enough.

So I often have a database open, and a calc-file with extracts from the database. Data is in a split-db, so saved external.
So sometimes I just skip recovery of intermediate states, because it is a waste of time…

1 Like