I cannot see how to enter custom keyboard shortcuts

On Linux (Mint), using Writer 7.4.5.1, I see this:

(Ah: I’m having trouble inserting images. Here is a link.)

And when I select the ‘key’ pane (or seem so to do - there is little indication that the pane is selected) and press keys, nothing happens. Please advise! Thank you.

Well, assigning a shortcut is a bit contorted. You don’t select your action (Category+Function) then press the desired key combination. The Keys pane is a “reporting” pane showing all keys assigned to that function.

You must find an available non-disabled (non-grayed out) key combination in Shortcut Keys and select it. You select the target function in Category + Function. Finally, you press button Modify.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the information. How very counter-intuitive. I’ve filed a bug report.

PS: In order to type this post I had to (it seems) click a button labelled ‘suggest a solution’.

The underused Help button on the dialog takes you to a page with this paragraph near the top
To assign or modify a shortcut key: select a command in the Function list, select the key combination to be assigned in the Shortcut Keys list, then click Modify.

To make a comment, select the question, comment, or answer you want to comment on and click the comment icon
CommentButton

Thanks.

The ‘underused help button’: two points. 1) Readily available help can only mitigate counter-intuitiveness. 2) The help was not readily available to me. Here is why. For some of the relevant period of time I was offline and (as I discovered a few days ago) the off-line help content would not install; there was a dependency problem. Still, that is not the problem about which I was writing.

The ‘comment’ button (you mean the comment button on this forum): ah; thank you.

Intuitiveness is only the continuation of a previous habit. When you switch to another product, always read the manual. Built-in help is only there to give concise reminders of the more developed topics in the manual.
Various applications in a domain (document processing, CAD, web browsers, …) exist only because they are different and offer a different approach for the domain. Beware of what you think “intuitive” which is nothing but impregnated muscle memory.

I suspect that it is not the whole truth about intuitiveness that it is ‘only the continuation of a previous habit’. I grant though that intuitiveness is at least partly that. So my criticism was too blunt. That said: if most software does some thing in some single way, and there is little net advantage in doing it a different way, then surely it is best to, so to speak, go with the flow . .