Import *.vss libraries

I like to know if there is any way to import *.vss shapes to LibreOffice Draw? I update to my Libreoffice to v. 7.6.5.2, but still… a blank page when open shape library.

I like to get rid off Microsoft Visio when I draw IT-documents. And in Visio Cafe there is quite a lot usable shapes. They would help my documentations.

In principle, Visio files can be opened directly in Draw.
I have no experience with importing *.vss libraries yet.
You could upload a sample library here.
Attach a second extend to the file name in the form “xxxxx.vss.pdf”, then it should be able to be uploaded. The file must not be larger than 4MB. Thank you.

These are the direct options for opening Visio files:

103052 HB File open

And in Visio Cafe there is quite a lot usable shapes.

MS programs and accessories are usually subject to MS licenses, you should check this.

So, it have to add to first message. But, here is test file if someone like to try/test.

HPE-Networking-3xxx-Switches.vss.pdf (959 KB)

The VSS file cannot be opened with Draw’s on-board tools.
Is there another way to export a library in Visio?
Or can the individual objects be separated as a (shape) in PNG or SVG file?

Are you sure that VSS files belong to Visio?
On the Internet, VSS is defined as a shadow copy and has nothing to do with Visio:

Basically (what I know) vss-libraries are “vector based” shapes, with database connection and they can manage both ways. So, convert them to .png, will lost
database connection as “grid based attach points” as well. And shapes can’t “explode” to pieces like Autocad blocks.

Database connection isn’t so important. But shape… staying vector-based object with attachment points… that’s quite important. I rather not to start create whole new library. And I wish someone has made “import” tool for vss-files.

How many shapes are involved?
It is possible to insert many shapes from the library into a visual document (or several).
This could then be opened in Draw.
Could you create a Visio file with some shapes and upload it here for testing?

…well…if there is ~40 manufacturer and each has 15-lines (libraries) where is about 10-30 shapes each one, we have a lot shapes to convert with hands.

And I think I’m not only one who like to use Draw.

There are a number of unfulfilled enhancement requests in bugzilla for import of vss files. This comment points to a possible method, but not from within LibreOffice, 60639 – Libvisio: Unable to import Cisco Stencils from a VSS file also seems to be Linux.

Internet search terms writerperfect module vss2odg tool

1 Like

And have a look at:

I have noticed this vss2odg tool, but I rather not install ubuntu computer for it. Nor compile it to my OpenSuse. I have last color in my beard and still lot of world to see.

But serious, I think this import tool for vss-libraries, could help lot of people. Now I make documents in Linux-side and boot up my computer to windows to draw my drawings. So, why keep windows anymore in my computer?