Imported PDF missing letters

When importing a PDF into draw to edit, some letters on the PDF get deleted. How can I fix this?

I guess you don’t need the obvious answer of re-entering the letters.
So you have to find out wich chacacters are missing and why…
As you don’t give a test-file (pdf) nor any hints wich characters are missing (font, symbols) I assume you wish to analyse the pdf yourself. While I use other tools I recently found peepdf to be a good start into the sections of a pdf.
After you identified the problem in the pdf you may check the source-code of LibreOffice. Obviously you only need to check the import-filter for pdfs to Draw.
PS: Are you sure the missing letters are deleted? Invisible or missplaced are other options.

Link to an older version of peepdf:

And the thread, where I found it:

Draw doesn’t use embedded fonts, I think there is a bug report for that.

If the pdf contains fonts not on your system then LibreOffice will use a substitute font. If it chooses a font with fewer characters then the missing ones might not be displayed. Ligatures, where two or more letters, such as ff, fi or ft, are joined to make a single character, are more commonly missing from pdfs in Draw if the wrong substitute font is chosen. A font like Linux Libertine G contains more ligatures than some other fonts.

If you open the pdf in Acrobat Reader then you can find a list of fonts used in File > Properties.

You can choose better replacement fonts by turning on and adding to the font substitution table in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Fonts. You can see an image of the table in LibreOffice Tips & Tricks: Replacing Microsoft Fonts - The Document Foundation Blog or in Help Fonts

[Edit]
If a substitute font is used then normally the font name in the Font Box is shown in italics. This might not occur for Type 1 fonts (discontinued) that are already mapped to another font, in which case you might have to work it out for yourself and replace the font in the document.

1 Like