"inserting not possible" - HELP!

hi.
i’m trying to modify an existing spreadsheet which requires inserting a lot of cells. the problem is that every time i try, i get an error. something like “inserting into merged ranges not possible”

so what’s going on? why can’t i insert those cells? the really annoying thing is that the first time i tried this, a few days ago, it worked, and i could get on with the modifications. now i need to insert more cells, and suddenly it doesn’t work??? WHY???

Merged cells are fundamentally problematic if you need to make changes, don’t use them.
Similar advice for Excel on the Microsoft answers site: Can’t paste data due to merged cells

2 Likes

With what LibreOffice version?

Next screenshot is from what I get when trying to insert a cell while shifting cells down:
Screenshot from 2024-07-22 20-26-08

But if both cells are selected (the width of the merged cells), I can insert:
Screenshot from 2024-07-22 20-28-15

Version: 7.6.2.1 on Linux.

2 Likes

version 7.6.7.2, which is the same version (running under the same version of ubuntu on the same hardware) that later started giving me those errors. and yes, it was the same spreadsheet too. if those merged cells are the problem then i don’t understand why it worked the first time i tried it. BTW, i un-merged those cells, inserted all the new cells i need, and then merged them again. without those merged cells the spreadsheet looks like crap.

If worked, was a bug.
You can insert a complete row, or (as explained before) cells that push down the complete merged cells.
I don’t know the content of your file; maybe it can be worked as a table in Writer.