Insertion Cursor moving horizontally when moved vertically

I have this problem when I’m writing and trying to edit my text, when I move vertically using the keyboard arrow keys the insertion cursor keeps moving horizontally at random.

If i skip through several rows of “[text]” then the cursor is sitting right before the ] for instance it jumps to the same position in all rows.
Other than that there’s no distinct pattern aside for the obvious skip to the left end on a line with no text.
It may appear in the place you were in previously on that line or it may be a different place.
Maybe it’s trying to place itself on the same-ish position in every line for some reason? Not sure what setting I could’ve hit.
Sometimes it skips to the end of a word and then when you go back down to previous line it has moved to that spot on that line too.

It seems to only be Libre Office that does this.
Direct Cursor Mode is not activated, so it can’t be due to that.

Version: 7.1.0.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: f6099ecf3d29644b5008cc8f48f42f4a40986e4c
CPU threads: 24; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19041; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: sv-SE (sv_SE); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

Using the arrow keys is the most efficient way for me to move around my document in order to edit text and move things around, but I find it hard to predict where the cursor will be and it’s getting really frustrating having it jump around left and right all over the document.

What can I do to fix this?

Try to disable Skia in Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> View -> Category: Graphics Output -> Option: [ ] Use Skia for all rendering and check whether that fixes/mitigates your problem

Try pressing the end key, will will make sure the cursor is at the end of a line. then try the cursor keys and see if that clears the problem. I’ve experienced weird cursor movement not at the end of a line.

Duplicated of https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/296348/.

@anon73440385 That did fix it. Thanks!
@LeroyG Yeah, the previous question died off without solution and nothing was reviving it.

Original question has been deleted. Why?

I think nothing was reviving it because there was no reply from you to a question

If you need to bring a question back to notice a reply to a question will make any contributors aware. If you have no response then a minor edit of the question will bring it to the top again.

@EarnestAl Oh, I did not know this. Sorry I’m a bit new to this forum.
And I did notice that there was a question I had left unanswered, because at the time I couldn’t find what he described due to language differences on the program and then I forgot about it.
Though I think the new question looks cleaner. :stuck_out_tongue:
(How do I make his comment the answer?)

It actually started happening again. I’m not sure what to do now.

Does it happen in LibreOffice (Safe Mode)?

If it does then I would be inclined to think it could be a hardware issue with keyboard.

After restarting in safe mode resetting all settings to factory state it seems to work again now. I don’t know what keeps causing it to act up though?
(Although sometimes it does skip to a word I worked on last, on that line, as I pass over it… I guess it’s a feature to make things easier but I personally think it’s unhelpful.)

Skipping to a word you edited previously sounds like unusual behaviour. Do you have any extensions like a grammar or spell checker?

Nope. I just installed it as it was and changed some spell-check and visual settings.
Is there any way I can change my program to just move the way I’m directing with my arrow keys immediately instead?

I really don’t see any other program acting like this and I don’t want this to happen.
Maybe I’ll have to use some other program?

Is Skia still switched off?

You could try clicking Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Mouse > Pointer Options and untick Enhance pointer precision, click OK to save and see if that helps.

Otherwise, if you can reproduce it reliably maybe try making a bug report. There are two similar cases but it seems very rare. Maybe a hardware driver issue?

I don’t understand how the mouse would impact any writing program to act like this when using the keys on the keyboard.
But I guess I could make a bug report. All in all I kind of give up.

Note that in Windows if you are using Mouse Keys, then the keys on the diagonals also move the cursor, but diagonally.