Is there a way to automatically save a database?

When I make modifications to a database (adding or editing records, modifying forms or reports, etc.), I understand that I need to save the whole database in addition to the saving the object I am working on. Is there a way to automatically save the whole database, either every so many minutes, or after every modification? I know that there is an autosave setting for restoration data, but I would like to be able to automatically save the main file.

Version: 6.3.3.2.0+
Build ID: libreoffice-6.3.3.2-snap1
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

Hello,

I have not seen any method to “automatically” save items in a Base file. You are possibly looking at multiple items beside what you mention. There can also be macros, queries, and reports plus the form(s) and then the .odb itself.

There is the Save in Tools->Options under Load/Save->General. Have found this erratic at best especially for Base.

There are a couple of macros you can run from a toolbar for saving the .odb as a backup. Don’t believe they will save your on-going work though.

One is Any other things needed in AnnotatedBackups?.

Another can be found in the LO documentation here → LibreOffice Base Handbook. See Chapter 9 Macros → Securing you database. If recalled correctly this had an easily fixed bug in the code.

Personally don’t use any. Just hit the Save icon when needed and always have backups.

I might also add there have been numerous times I didn’t want the work saved and simply scraped the work I was doing. An automated save would need the capability to be turned on & off in this case.

“I have not seen any method to “automatically” save items in a Base file.”

How about writing a “save everything” macro, which could be activated by a button on a form? It would save having to go leave the form and go back to the main window to do the save.

That may be possible but a lot of thought and planning need be done. I think it needs much more consideration in the way of saving the .odb with a timestamp in the file name and then any necessary individual items. In this manner you can go back to a specific point if things get messed up.