It takes few minutes just to open a pdf (that don't need to be edited)

It takes few minutes to simply open an average size book.pdf, probably because it opens it for editing which requires much more processing. (Acrobat DC opens it in a few seconds, then, if you want you could edit it but then it’ll require some time to process the file). I can’t set the pdf file as “read-only” because I want to highlight it.

So, is there a way to quickly open a pdf to read/highlight it?

Can we use LibreOffice as a pdf reader (which means quick to pen), or is it “only”* a pdf editor (*being able to edit the pdf is already great!).

(I can’t add the .pdf tag, the explanations about the tags aren’t clear)

It is neither. It does not open PDF for editing - it imports from PDF what it understands into its own object model (i.e., internally creates something like ODG). Then you of course may export to PDF - but that would be another conversion from internal “ODG” into new PDF.

The conversion process id slow, and there’s no way to avoid that in LO.

Turn it this way: LibreOffice is not a PDF reader.

@user-cnd567: I retagged your question on your behalf.

The tag system is a way to directly ring some contributors who monitor specific tags. This is why some are required: writer, calc, draw, impress, base and math focus on one application; common is for non-specific problems like installation issues (before you can work on a specific application), printing interface, …; meta is for everything else, mainly difficulties with AskLO site.