Java not found by LibreBase on a Mac

I have moved to LibreOffice from NeoOffice as I like to look and feel, but this is my first entry to the database (since MS Access many years ago). I have an older 2010 Mac, intel processor, OSX10.13.6 and LibreOffice 7.4.3.2.

When first trying to build a database I was a bit surprised with messages telling me I needed the Java JDK. Perhaps my Mac had the old Apple installations? Much web searching led me to download and install (from the JDK) the latest Java JRE 19.0.2 which appears in the LibreOffice/Preference/Advanced and is bullet selected and the Use java box ticked. But LibreBase still reported an error.

I then downloaded the earlier Java JRE 1.8.0_361 which LibreOffice/Preference/Advanced could see and I could select but still an error if I look at a table with “No Java installation found. Please check your installation”.

I started NeoOffice, it found JRE 1.8.0-361 (did not show the 19.0.2!) and it happily created a database and I could paste in a big spreadsheet of data.

But I would like to do this in LibreBase. How do I find the problem? I read there are big complications with earlier Java JRE versions not being able to be ‘seen’ over later installs. Mac terminal is a daunting place to go to be able to simply delete later versions, at the moment I cannot even find the Java directories. Or is my mix of OSX and LibreOffice not working - would an earlier LibreOffice version help?

Would appreciate any help. How do all the other Mac users of base cope?

Norm

Please see my suggested solution:

Step 1: Close LibreOffice
Step 2: Download and install the JDK for your required MacBook

Please, show the community your question has been answered, by opening the More icon. Mehr anzeigen Then click the Solution to the correct answer. Solution gray Solution grün To “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow on the left of any helpful answers. If you like the post, click on the heart icon. Gefällt mir

Hello HerCorns

Thank you for the response, I appreciate the kind help.

Unfortunately it did not work. To confirm, I closed LibreOffice, downloaded the .DMG you specify which installs as version 19.0.2. Open LibreOffive and /Prefernces/Advanced shows Oracle Corporation 19.0.2 selected. Create a New database, embedded and this message appears as soon as it is opened “LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective…”

I wish I could ‘get working’ :sleepy: I think the only solution might be a new Mac and fill it with the new LibreOffice and that 19.0.2 JRE, but I am not going to spend that money in a hurry.

Okay, let’s see what is different.

This is my setup:
Version: 7.3.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 49f2b1bff42cfccbd8f788c8dc32c1c309559be0
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 10.16; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: en-US (en_KR.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Okay, I noticed that your OSX is a bit older and you are running a newer version of LibreOffice, as indicated “OSX10.13.6 and LibreOffice 7.4.3.2.

Maybe try a slightly older JDK version these links will be only for the intel MAC
Java 17 - https://download.oracle.com/java/17/latest/jdk-17_macos-x64_bin.dmg
Java 11 - Java Downloads | Oracle

Let’s see how it goes.

Please, show the community your question has been answered, by opening the More icon. Mehr anzeigen Then click the Solution to the correct answer. Solution gray Solution grün To “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow on the left of any helpful answers. If you like the post, click on the heart icon. Gefällt mir

Thank you HerCorns for your continued interest in what might be fixable.

To confirm I have switched back the the slightly earlier LibreOffice 7.3.7.2 I have what is now an ‘old’ Mac from 2011 with an Intel processor, but it has a lot of RAM and so runs things like CAD quite quickly. It has the highest version of OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra, you cannot load a newer version.

I have now installed JDK 17.0.6 as you suggest. If I open LibreOffice /Preferences/Advanced I see four JREs:
Oracle Corporation 19.0.2
Oracle Corporation 17.0.6
Eclipse Adoption 17.0.6
Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_361

Thus LibreOffice is listing them in upgrade order and not the order that I installed them! so is that a good thing?

But if I select any of those four JREs, shut LibreOffice, open it again (yes it keeps the selected one) then File/new database/create/ register/open I get the same error message that is “…the selected JRE is defective…”

I can only guess at the problems, clearly there is a ‘bug’ somewhere. Between OSX on this early Intel Mac, the way the JREs are installed, or the way LibreOffice is reading what it is trying to run. I am slightly concerned that you are not supposed to have multiple JREs according to Oracle and they should be deleted and only one installed. But is that true? Anyway, oracle give you no tools to uninstall and I am not confident enough to run terminal delete commands on directories. If I saw it done a few times then fine.

Oh I forgot to repeat something that might add information. I do have a copy of NeoOffice which has the same guts as LibreOffice, much of the menus etc. are identical. But it is clearly an earlier version and it is buggy and crashes. However, NeoOffice database reported the same (similar?) error when Oracle 19.0.2 was installed, but it could not find it in preferences/advanced. When I installed Oracle 1.8.0_361 NeoOffice found it and it happily created a database! I built a big relational database (main table 300 rows x 10 columns) but the Forms creation was a mess and it kept crashing - I gave up on it.

So if old, creaky NeoOffice can run, what is LibreOffice doing wrongly?

Things not working as expected can be very frustrating and time-consuming.

Yes, it’s better to run only one version of JAVA at a time - https://www.java.com/en/download/help/remove_olderversions.html

So maybe uninstall all the previous versions and then go back in the past, say to version 8 of JAVA
you can find all the versions of Java SE here (Java Archive | Oracle) and to avoid looking for a link (Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 8u211 and later) to all the builds around Java 8’s time period.
I wish I could help you more, but I only learned what was needed to eliminate the error message.

Hope the above will help to solve your issue.