JRE Defective Error - MacOS BigSur 11.4, JDK 17, LibreOffice 7.1.6.2

Hi, I’m trying to use Base for the first time. I want to create a simple database for a book collection. I also want to import data from a spreadsheet for a video collection.

I am using a MacBook Air M1
MacOS BigSur 11.4
LibreOffice 7.1.6.2

When I attempted to create a table I got an error message saying that:

LibreOffice requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to perform this task…
so I looked for help here then downloaded and installed JDK 17.0.1 (I downloaded the Arm 64 DMG Installer from Java Downloads | Oracle). The installation said it was successful.

However, when I attempt to create a table, I still get the error message:

“JRE is Defective. LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select another version or install a new JRE and select it under LibreOffice - Preferences - LibreOffice - Advanced.”

So I did the above Preferences>>Advanced as in this screenshot:

But now I get another error saying “The connection to the data source “database-test” could not be established. No Java Installation can be found. Please check your installation.”

I’d be grateful for help!!
Thanks

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

Thanks for your reply. Silly question – is Java different than JDK? (I have already installed JDK as per my initial question!)

Yes, there are differences. You should have clicked there further on “Java for Consumers” → “Java Download” → (below on) “Java All Downloads”.

Thanks again! Only problem is it says Java is for MacOSX, and system requirements Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) or later.

Would it still work with MacOS 11.4, Apple Silicon M1?

Try it. I can’t tell you because I use Windows myself.

Installation was successful. But unfortunately still get the same errors.

Did you make the assignment under Tools>Options>Advanced?

See also:

No, I did not make the assignment. I am not sure how to do it. I have tried the following:

checked system preferences–Java is installed
opened Java control panel>Java>View Java Runtime Settings–the path specified is:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

Then in LibreOffice>Preferences>Advanced>Add–then tried putting in the above path but get another error message:

The folder you selected does not contain a Java runtime environment.
Please select a different folder.

Thanks for your help and patience!

any ideas?

Path you reported sounds wrong for me - but I have not seen any MAC …
See java home - its a little bit older but might work. You have posted a path to Internet Plug-Ins. Seems to be the version your browser will need for showing Java content.

I did as you suggested but got this:

this is the same path as in my initial query:

02-pref-selected

Thanks for your help though.

@RobertG , Anymore ideas? I’m thinking I’ll just buy Tap Forms!

See also Bug 135462. I never used a Mac, but if I would run in such a behavior I would work with MySQL/Apache/PHP instead …

thanks. But I think this is too technical for me! I just want something simple to use and work! It’s for personal use, not for a business

Alternative: Base has also an internal Firebird database. You could connect to this database without using Java. You have to set

Tools → Options → Advanced → Optional Features → Enable experimental feature

to create a new Firebird database. After you have created the database you could disable the experimental features. Could be there are wizards in Base, which can’t be used. Also the report builder can’t be used without.

THanks! That worked, however after turning the experimental features off it went wonky again. I think I’ll go down a paid-for route as the learning curve for this will take a while and I don’t have the time. Still if it helps someone else with the same issue alll will not be in vain.
Thanks for your time