Justifcation bug

Could we PLEASE have a fix for the justification bug in Writer. Justification goes mad as soon as you get past filling the line by two thirds or so.
I got on the chat and was told it was fixed in 24.8.1.2 when 24.8.1.1 was the latest. But downloaded 24.8.1.2 and it is still there. So making do with an old version on a spare computer that is not updated o/s just so I can work in peace.
Running Linux Mint 21.1 MATE
Libre version 24.8.1.2
file.odt (48.4 KB)

Do you remember correctly what you were told? It was fixed in 24.8.2, not in 24.8.1.2.

Thanks. Got that wrong. But I downloaded 24.8.2 and installed but still have exactly the same problem. It unpacks as LibreOffice_24.8.2.1_Linux_x86-64_deb
And installed it still has the same problem.
??!!

Then what is “the” problem? Can I see that from your description? I could only assume something that I heard of - but do you imagine that your description is descriptive? :wink: And please make sure that you really use the version that you installed (I hear of people who install several LibreOffice versions on their Linux in parallel, and don’t realize that, and keep using another version).

An ODT file would be nice, along with steps to do in that file to see it.

As you are typing, when you get to about 2/3 s across the line, the line is suddenly spread across the whole width of the line. Clumsily, with odd gaps. And it constantly jumps about as you type, to the extent you cannot see what you are doing!
The steps are - start typing a full line.

Durr. Went to prep an odt to send and found the problem. It is a font fubar, not libre.
Sorry to take your time.
And many thanks.

However, this is a fault that appeared out of the blue with the update of 24.8.1, so may be a libre issue.
I would attach a file but cannot see how.

Now uploaded.

Note that the uploaded file was created using LibreOffice 24.8.1.2.

If the “bug” affects only the last line with justified alignment, check paragraph style settings (or direct formatting, which is present in your sample).

With Justify, behaviour of last line can be modified to be:

• Start: partial line is kept at origin of writing direction without modification,
  • Centered: well, you understand it
  • Justified: text is spread across paragraph width no matter text volume

Maybe there is a hidden “mode” where switching from Start to Justified occurs when line crosses some threshold.

Thanks.
Yes, as stated previously:
I downloaded 24.8.2 and installed but still have exactly the same problem. It unpacks as LibreOffice_24.8.2.1_Linux_x86-64_deb
How do I fix this to start with?

Thanks ajlittoz. Problem now narrowed down quite a bit. It only happens with some fonts. (I am aware of the justification settings!)
If you know of any hidden “mode” where switching from Start to Justified occurs when line crosses some threshold I am all ears. :slight_smile:

This is fine: it’s 24.8.2.1, not 24.8.1.2.

Thanks. Wow. I am being really stupid about this!
Any suggestions about how to fix the justification issue, now it is clearly not going to be fixed by the next update? It only appeared after the update to 24.8.1.1.

Could you please attach a problematic sample created in 24.8.2? Thank you.

First I need to install 24.8.2
I downloaded 24.8.2 and installed it. But when it was installed it is 24.8.1.2
How do I fix this to start with?
And sorry, last post about this was hopelessly muddled!

It sounds as if you have two installations of LibreOffice on your computer.