Libre Draw - Custom Shapes and Custom Toolbar for the Custom Shapes

Hi
Firstly I am making sides etc for model building with doors windows etc.
I want to create in its own gallery/library (not sure on what to call it) doors and windows of various sizes and shapes. Then when I open a new Draw document the toolbar with my shapes doors and windows etc is visible. Then I want to be able to drag and drop my requirements into the new open document. The shapes will include plus 1 layer included for lines etc and these should be available in the new document.

1. How to set up the Draw document with the multiple shapes of my design?
  2. How to install Draw custom toolbar with only my shapes on it. ( I will hide other toolbars not required)

Yes I have looked thru the pdf guide but I just want the very basics (probably want go beyond what I have outlined above). The guide is very comprehensive and too technical for this old brain. (78yo)
But I am loving learning this drawing program. Go easy on me!

Charles Harris

“How to install Draw custom toolbar with only my shapes on it. ( I will hide other toolbars not required)”
I suppose it: you are using the Gallery feature with a user defined Theme inside your own shapes.
Do you want to delete all of other themes and shapes from the Gallery?

1 Like

The easiest and, in my opinion, best is to create a Draw document with your shapes in it. Create a new slide or new document depending on requirements for different types of object. Copy and paste from there. The advantages:

• They remain as Draw objects so are fully editable
  • You have a whole screen when selecting the object
  • There is no limit to the number you can have, and if carefully planned it should be easy to find the particular object.

Drawbacks:

• You have to open the document to find your objects in addition to the current project
  • It is possible to damage your collection accidentally. Close it without saving should restore it
  • It is less convenient

You can create a Gallery theme but the objects have to be converted to an image type first. The nearest is .svg but it makes editing the shape, if needed, a more difficult job.

1 Like

In addition to @EarnestAl ,

Own shapes in Draw

@EarnestAl wrote:

It is possible to damage your collection accidentally. Close it without saving should restore it

This is probably always the case when working with any files. Therefore, backups should (must) always be made.

1 Like

One more thing that you will thank yourself for, name all your created shapes. When you copy them across the names are retained and it makes it much easier to identify in navigator. Also a name like DoorPaneledRegency is better than Door03

1 Like

Thankyou everyone for your input. I think I have it sorted now following your comments.
Charles

1 Like

You can add normal drawing objects to the Gallery. There is no need to convert them to images. Click on the shape, wait about 2 seconds while holding down the mouse button and then drag it onto the Gallery theme. To use such shape in a new document drag it from the Gallery to the document. Do not use ‘Insert’ from the context menu in the Gallery, but use draw&drop.

Only if the shape originally uses a style and this style is not available in the new document, then you will have to style it again. If you use direct formatting, the shape will keep the formatting.

2 Likes

Thanks for tip Regina, I have tried to add objects to the Gallery but I guess I was too quick off the mark.

I did notice that styles aren’t pasted with objects to a new document so I can see there would be issues going through Gallery too. Cheers, Al