Libre office download will not open on my Windows laptop,

I can download Libre Office but it will not open. I am told the installation package cannot be opened. ‘to verify that the package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package’.
Even the help download will not open.
I don’t understand what is happening and I would really appreciate any help you can give.

You might like to check out this page, General Installation Issues (Windows) - The Document Foundation Wiki

If you have a Windows version ending in S, e.g. 10S, then look at this page, Windows 10 and Windows 11 in S mode FAQ - Microsoft Support

At the moment it looks like a Windows (or browser) setting, or anti virus blocking. Try downloading the file to Downloads and launching the installer from there rather than from the browser.

1 Like

If one searches for your error text, the results at answers.microsoft are quite disappointing. I didn’t see a solved thread, but a lot of “me too”.
Points to check:

• Windows Version, S mode can only use the MS-Appstore
  • Anti-Virus settings including the “controlled folder access” in Windows Defender
  • The error doesn’t sound like admin-rights are the problem. If rights aren’t sufficient Windows should ask for a password…
  • Check Windows update, if your OS is fully patched (especially the date of last succesful patch). Sometimes Windows does never update, and there may be something missing to open/verify the .msi
  • Maybe as first point: Download again and verify checksum.

That is correct behaviour. There is no reason to trust an msi, because it is named help.msi or harmless.msi You have to solve the basic problem first.

PS: You reboot your laptop from time to time, or do you just close the lid. Rebooting Windows is often quite helpful…

Hi. Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I did try saving and then launching the download but I ended up with the same issue. I will look into settings again to see if there is some issue I have n’t found. Still a mystery ! But thanks again. Emer

This page from MS also supports above suggestions about Windows Defender.

1 Like

Hi Robleyd. Thank you very much for the help. I’m kind of dazed by all the knowledge on here.And the people going to the trouble to share it. That MS is really helpful. . It seems to make the most sense. Epat