Libre Office file problem

Using Libre Office 7 and Windows 10. Trying to recover important text file that I use daily. Tried to follow path where back ups are. I only see 1 choice matching the file name. Somehow I see a picture made by “draw” (which I’ve never used) and not the text file. The MS software/edge browser was interrupted the other night for a moment, and when it came back, file was damaged. How can I find earlier versions of text file and restore. Thanks for any/all help!

You can find the folder of the backup files in the menu:
Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Paths - Backups (and you can modify it here to create an easier available place (for the future backups)

It works if the option Tools - Options - Load/Save - “Always create backup copy” is checked.
Unfurtunately there is one backup file for a document: with same file name but .bak extension.
It is better to create more than one backup files with a timestamped file name. You can do it manually or by an extension:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86742

http://flowcont.hu/LO_oxt_store/

@Stephen_Brossoit :
You posted in three different “Questions” (one of them old and not self-created) about the same problem.
That in itself is a reliable way of not getting a useful result.

But the main reason for the lack of success is that you didn’t give any kind of useful information, even when you were asked explicitly.

What might be useful informatrion?

• The actual or reasonably suppposed cause for the malfunction: (Closed the notebook lid inadvertently. / The cat ran over the keyboard. / …)
  • Do you get a related message when starting LibreOffice. If so, what exact message did/do you get when opening LibreOffice?
  • If you try to open the corrupted/damaged file in the usual way: What happens then exactly? Do you get a message? If so exact wording? Does the file open but show only “strange things”? If so: exact description of the appearance.
  • Is a file having the same name (or a very similar one) as the lost one in the trash folder of your system?
  • Are different files you work with in LibO showing as usual? Are they editable?
  • What were (at the time of the “accident”) your actual settings under >Tools>Options>Load/Save>General>>Save: Concerning recovery information and backup copies? Both options enabled?
  • What can you tell else except the fact that you did not find yet a satisfying backup copy? Did you find an incomplete one, e.g.?
  • What probably usefuil facts else come to your mind?
1 Like