Libre Office Writer crashes when I try to insert an image

I am using LibreOffice version 24.2.4.2 on Linux. When I attempt to insert an image into a document LibreOffice Writer crashes with the message: “Dur to an error, LibreOffice crashed. All the files you were working on will now be save. The next time LibreOffice is launched, your files will be recovered automatically.” Aside from the fact that the changes made to the file are not saved and not recovered, the main issue is I cannot insert an image. The image I am trting to insert is 84K., not big. My attempt to insert image crashed every time. I had no problem with my previous 7.6.4 version. In fact, I used to first insert a text box, then insert an image into the text box, but now after I attempt to insert into the text box the text box disappears if I try to do anything at all, So I’ve resorted to just trying to insert an image.

How do I fix this?

No clue. Let’s start with the question, how you try to insert the picture

• Drag’n’drop
  • Copy/paste
  • Menu Insert media (imho recommended method)

While you mention the size, you don’t tell format, so this can be anything from pixel to vector with any compression, so even size may be misleading. (I assume your picture is showing correct outside LO.)

Distribution ?, Version ? How is your LibreOffice installed (Snap, Flatpack, AppImage, regular install via paket-manager, ppa used for the new version) ?

On the same OS and configuration or did you get the new LibreOffice with a newer version of your OS?

By doing so, you double the probability of problems. And I doubt that the image is really “contained” inside the text box. Text boxes are “external” to the text flow and don’t interact “smoothly” with it. They are poor substitutes for more elaborate décorations and can’t be controlled by styles. So, unless you are perfectly aware of the usage context and fully understand the implications, avoid them.

When inserted an image creates a frame and this is sufficient to control it. Don’t complicate things by multiplying container and objects.

Wanderer - thanks for you reply. I am using the menu to Insert > Image. The format is JPG. Yes, the image shows fine using normal viewers. The Linux version is 5.15.161, Slackware distro 15.0. The previous version of LibreOffice worked fine on this Linux version. LibreOffice installed via package manager. This version of LibreOffice was installed two weeks ago and everything but this Insert Image has worked fine.