Libre on SCCM Task sequence

Im not sure if this has been posted before, I couldnt see anything recent on the search.

We have LibreOffice on one our image task sequence in SCCM and it has always worked fine. The last good version that worked was 7.1.2.2, as we don’t use the sequence that much we’ve just realised its out of date so I’ve come to replace it with 7.4.6.2 LibreOffice. When deploying as an individual package it actually installs on the computer, but when putting it on the task sequence for new devices it stops after the install like there’s no more steps. It goes to the Windows login screen and I am able to login successfully. Its like its installs itself and then finishes without continuing the rest of the task sequence.
The older installation works fine but the new one, following the same steps as the older one, doesn’t. I’ve tried added in no reboot switches etc but that only makes the task sequence hang instead.
Any thoughts as to why that behaviour might be happening?

Hi there

I am having the exact same issue. I logged it as a bug but they are saying there is no issue with it. Did you ever find a solution?

Lol, I never said “there is no issue with it” - ref: tdf#155408 and MSI Installers issue. What I said was asking you for some way to repro, to see the problem, and try to fix it. I also said that in my testing, using the steps that I invented, in the absence of such steps from you, I couldn’t see the problem.

If I read the post from @pmaynard correctly, they wrote that it’s not the same as yours - but that LibreOffice installs, but stops executing the rest of the sequence.

Hi, Ive not found a solution yet - rather just a work around. We have asset groups set up for Libre so Ive left the last known working one on the task sequence and then once the device is built, I’ll send out the new one to upgrade it. Not the best but Ill clean it up at some point.
Packaging and deploying is fine - its just on the task sequence it doesnt play ball (in terms of finishing the sequence)

@pmaynard, @adamandrewclarke it could help if you tried to find the exact MSI version that first started to produce the problem, and posted that information to the bug report (like “7.3.1.1 worked fine, but 7.3.1.2 failed”). You can use our download archive for that, getting the versions between 7.2 and 7.4 that are known to work/not work. That could enable us to find the exact set of differences between the installer databases, even though we don’t have an SCCM environment to reproduce the actual problem.

Hi
7.2.6.2 is the last known one that we’ve had working via the task sequence. Any others after that have failed.

Any other failed, including 7.2.7.1? That would be a very nice bit of information, because I expect very little differences inside the same 7.2 branch.

Hi there having work with Mike @LibreOffice to do some digging I thought it useful to post that it appears the current latest version that deploys fine is 7.3.0.3 which is what we will deploy this year as a workaround anything after this version will fail to install. Mike has suggested that the issue is likely with a change in the C++ redistributable which is specifically a requirement for SCCM task sequences along with some changes made in the latest LibreOffice MSI installers. I have been fighting trying to get the 2022 redist installed in the task sequence prior to the LibreOffice step but this just fails with a typical MS unspecified error 0x80004005 having imported. We need to get an image ready for roll out like now so unfortunately I cannot invest any more time troubleshooting this as much as I want to get it working and to assist Mike. It also could very well as Mike has pointed out be a Microsoft bug but either way there is clearly nothing LibreOffice can immediately change to help us without rolling back changes they made to the installer which might well make it less secure… Real shame though as I suspect many have tried to deploy and hit this brick wall and subsequently given up the ghost…

1 Like