Libre Writer 7.6.6.3 W10, is it possible to choose the default date field format

The system has been running normally. When I insert a date field in the document the system uses a default date format that is numeric, I think it goes MM/dd/yyyy. I use a different date format with day of week and month spelled as words, this format is available in the sytem, however this requires that each time I must access the edit field dialog. I am looking for a way to set the default date field format to the one I choose. Can this be done? I have searched for the system master date format input dialog without success, if it exists please tell me where to find it. Thank you.

TedR NY USA

I don’t have 7.6.6.3 available to me but newer versions have “Tools/Options/Languages & Locales” section in options that may give you the option to change defaults.

@TedR1 ,

You still have the option of creating it as AutoText (Ctrl+F3).

Using AutoText

4 Likes

Slightly off topic?
I wanted to explain additionally the advisable suggetion by @PKG, and to provide examples.
I could, however, not resist the temptation to include some general comments on date formats. see attachments. The second attachment is only of any value, if the content of the first one was read.
disask109892_AutoTextSuggestion.odt (36.3 KB)
disask109892_LuppSuggestions.bau.odg (45.6 KB)

Thank you all for your contributions.
Autotext is interesting, it is new to me and may be useful, the task of inserting a date requires access to the part of the system where knowledge of the date each day is found, and this is provided by the dialong insert/field/date (fixed) because the date (fixed) automatically increments at midnight each day (the meaning of fixed is that the date, once having been inserted in the document no longer increments with the passing day).
It seems possible that autotext will accept the text date field as an input text, and I have done that today as test to see if it works, tomorrow I will know if the autotext field entry automatically updated to Tuesday. I will post the result here.

There are two variants of date TextField: variable and fixed. Both of them can also be inserted with an AutoText item where they are contained in.

The test today shows that the autotext field date fixed has the automatic increment each day, it is what I am seeking. Thank you all for your contributions.

TedR