libreoffice 6.4 extremely slow in writer and calc

I was having computer problems (extremely slow Internet speeds, LO also very slow to load,…) on my HP desktop running Windows 10 Enterprise. I eventually had to do a total system recovery and in the process got LO 6.4.5.2 all was well. But yesterday I was consolidating some large (372 pages) and small (85 pages) Writer files and things got real bad real quick. It would take 3-4 minutes or more to cut and paste between files, save the files, etc. I had to use Task Manager to shut down LO some times because it got so slow. I have learned that you can use the Quickstart feature but I haven’t done so because I didn’t want LO or any program to automatically load up when I use the computer. But I am now open to this and any other suggestions.

Did you already try to open your files in LibreOffice’s Safe Mode (Help -> Restart in Safe Mode)? If that works normal, most probably your LibreOffice user profile is corrupt and you need to reset (also using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and using option [o] Reset to factory settings -> [x] Reset entire user profile).

besides @Opaques hint, which could likely be the problem if parts of your old profile remained, pls. check whether you have either many ‘comments’ (notes, post-it’s, annotations) in your files, or ‘change-tracking’ activated or anything else which produces text boxes with content, things like this are known to slow down calc and writer, if that might be your problem try ver 6.1.6.3, it has the best performance reg. theese problems that i know …

Thanks for your replies. I ended up adding another 8gb of ram to my pc and things are better. Have a good one!