LibreOffice from Microsoft Store

I purchased LibreOffice by The Document Foundation from the Microsoft Store for $4.59 through the Microsoft Store link at App Stores and Chromebooks | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft minutes ago. This app doesn’t appear in the Microsoft Store search and is only available via the link mentioned above. When it downloaded and installed and I run the app it still shows version 7.3.6.2. Why? This version is directly from The Document Foundation and not from CIB or allotropia. The previous two $9.99 purchases were from CIB and allotropia but are no longer available. The download speed of this app from the Microsoft Store was slow. Why?

Why are you downloading from anywhere but the official source? Get your download here: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/

The version 7.3.6.2 was the LibreOffice ‘Still’ version up until a couple of days ago — which may explain why you got that version and not the most recent ‘Still’ version. The latest Still version is now 7.3.7.2 The latest ‘Fresh’ version is 7.4.2.

Possibly because TDF has announced that MS Store is now a supported distribution channel? And because it’s a way to easily support LibreOffice development, alternative to donations?

To be able to answer, you need to specify which version do you expect? 7.3.7 or 7.4.2? First is because deployment to MS Store takes time. Second is because 7.4 is considered less tested.

Something to ask Microsoft, since it’s MS servers that host the Store downloads. Also there is a chance that this app is not prioritized by MS, because its popularity is (yet) low.

7.3.7.2 Still version.

As mikekaganski says the reason for not getting the most recent version of Still from the MS Store is likely that it takes more time to make a recently updated version available at the Store.

I have to say though that I am bamboozled as to why anyone would want to use the MS Store. I’m on Windows 7 so the Store isn’t applicable to me but if it was I would still download from the official source — at least that way I have a much better idea what version I’m downloading and if I want to make a donation, which I do from time to time, then I can make one at the time of downloading or any other time at all.

@Radish ,

I have to say though that I am bamboozled as to why anyone would want to use the MS Store.

There are MS operating systems that do not allow foreign installation.

Besides, everyone should be happy as he likes.

1 Like

There are what!!!

Ah, I think I found it. Seems there are systems running in what are known as Windows 10 S Mode and Windows 11 S Mode. On those systems users can only install apps that are in the MS Store. Wow!

That said it seems like if you have one of those S Mode systems it is possible to easily opt-out. If you opt-out then you can install software from any source, the MS Store is no longer mandatory. However, once you opt-out you can’t reverse the opt-out at a later point in time. I am still amazed that this is going on. If anyone wants to see the details read this: Windows 10 and Windows 11 in S mode FAQ