"LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective."

Hello -

I’ve been trying to install the LibreOffice plugin for Zotero, but when I open Libreoffice I get this error message. I’ve read several questions on here from the last month with the same issue, and have tried to follow the instructions, but am somehow still getting lost. I pasted a picture below. I also tried it with both of the jdk’s selected, 14.0.2 and 1.8.0-261.

I’ve downloaded the most recent JDK from oracle (I think). And I know that I’m supposed to have JDK and not a JRE, but does that mean I uncheck the box for “use a Java runtime environment”?

Absolutely losing my mind, any help appreciated. Thanks!

Using tag defective-jre-32bit is quite misleading, since for macos there is only a 64-bit version of LibreOffice and hence the only JRE/JDK working must be 64-bit as well.

> but does that mean I uncheck the box for "use a Java runtime environment"?

Not at all - see my answer below.

Sorry! I’d misunderstood

Hello,

mostly likely you are using LibreOffice 7.x (you don’t mention your LibreOffice version) on macos and you are hit by bug #tdf135479 - LO Complains about missing JDK when accessing any Java functionality, despite recognizing JDK on macOS under Preferences.

Your only choice at this time is to downgrade LibreOffice to version 6.4.6.

Hope that helps.

Your only choice at this time is to downgrade LibreOffice to version 6.4.6.

No, Java 12 reportedly works with LO7.0.[01], see both bugs mentioned.

You didn’t mention your LibreOffice version nor the platform you’re running on (always do with such questions), but from the screenshot I deduce MacOS and you might run LibreOffice 7.0.x and may have run into bug tdf#135479, or, more Zotero related apparently tdf#135462. Try if Java 12 works.

Hi all,

I am running Mac Os 11.0.1 (Big Sur), and LibreOffice 7.0.3.1 keeps crashing withe the same JRE massage, no matter which JRE I am actually using:

This bug has been on for quite some time now and I am surprised it is still around. Will the foundation cure it for good in a near update?

Would you guys have any cure to use now?

Thanks for your time.

That’s not an answer to the question.

Please do **not** use *Add Answer* if you actually don't answer a question but commenting an answer or responding to another user’s comment. Please use ***add a comment*** for that purpose. Thanks in advance …
Please delete this answer. It doesn't answer the question at all and please read the comment of @erAck in the answer below or read the bug report , which tells you that 12.0.2 is known to work.

Yes Opaque, I agree, you should delete your “Your only choice at this time is to downgrade LibreOffice to version 6.4.6.” as it is a wrong answer or Comment or Answer/Comment and doesn’t answer the question at all too.

Yes Opaque, I agree, you should delete your

See the date of the answer, there was no Big Sur at that time and @erAck added a comment to that and @erAck provided an answer as well, hence my hint is not necessarily self-referencing.

Would you guys have any cure to use now?

No - because we are not developers. You are addressing other users of LibreOffice on this site and not developers.