LibreOffice Writer crashes when I copy hyperlink on macOS

Hello team,
I wanted to report that almost each time I copy a link in LibreOffice Writer, it crashes the App on macOS (v14.5), forcing me to recover the document before I can use it again. I am using version 24.2.4.2 but it was the same on the previous version too… Any idea why? (I reset my profile already)
Thanks

Here you do not address any “team”. It’s a user-to-user Ask site.

And yes, I recall there was some macOS-specific crasher bug, fixed in the upcoming 24.2.5 (already available as a pre-release on the download page).

https://www.reddit.com/r/grammar/comments/qn1dxm/when_addressing_a_team_in_an_email_hi_team_vs_hi/

@fpy should I now try to guess what you intended to say?

“Team” can mean “People”

Sure. Humpty-dumpty style. Anyway, my point was: do not have incorrect expectations. Many people coming here expect to get something “official”.

Yep understood that and that was not my case :smile:

1 Like

If you can test with the prerelease version in which a fix for crashing was included, please do, but if not, you could file a bug report in the LibreOffice bugzilla, with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the crash.

Indeed it seems that 24.2.5.1 fixed the issue for me :grinning:

1 Like

I believe it was tdf#161461.

Ordinarily LibreOffice will start the crash report tool when it detects a crash. Always take note of the crash report number. If you have it you can post it here to help us determine what the issue is and/or inspect it at: https://crashreport.libreoffice.org

Note that there are no reports from macOS. Because, IIRC, there is no crash reporter in macOS version.

Well that’s news to me. I haven’t used macOS for years but I could have sworn the LO crash reporter was active. Happy to learn more about this if anyone has any links, I can’t find any info that suggests it isn’t on macOS.

Unfortunately, the LO crash reporter was removed on macOS. The OS comes with its own crash reporter, but this sends the reports to Apple, and after that, who knows. It doesn’t create a bug report in the crash reporting system of the LO project, that’s for sure.

1 Like

for reference Crash Report Tool

That macOS section needs rewriting to specify that the Apple system crash logger/reporter doesn’t send the trace data to the LibreOffice project, nor does it automatically send it to Apple (the user has to agree to it). Additionally, it should also really mention what happens to that data if sent. My suspicion is that the person who wrote the part about macOS probably didn’t know (I send LO crash reports regularly to Apple in the hope that at some stage, they will make it back to the LO project, but I don’t actually know that that happens), and so deliberately left that part as minimalistic as possible.

For the reason why the LO crash reporter was disabled and no longer built for the macOS release, one would have to trawl through the git commit history or possibly the dev mailing list.

Additionally, the macOS crash reporter doesn’t always appear to capture every single crash. Whether that is to do with LibreOffice, or some setting in macOS itself, I don’t know, but it does seem that the logger doesn’t always manage to record a trace in the logging journal.

seems now ubuntu would bypass LO crash report tool either :thinking:

Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.2.4-0ubuntu0.24.04.2

the option is not in Options > General anymore.

for “reference” still : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1PvQppdn8Q