LibreWrite will not SaveAs to a previously protected folder...Ubuntu

LibreWriter version 7.6.7.2 used in Ubuntu 23.10.3

This has been happening for a while now through several upgrades of Ubuntu.

Back in '21-'22 I set some of my folders as locked, in Ubuntu. In late '22 I unlocked them. But since than, whenever I try to Save As from Libreoffice to one of those folders, which now have all the Read & Write permissions, LibreOffice refuses to post to that folder. I have to save to the desktop than drag and drop the file into the folder(s). If I open one of the LibreOffice files in that folder it says it can only open it as Read Only.

I suspect it’s not reading the Ubuntu permissions correctly or I’ve got some setting in either Ubuntu or LibreOffice wrong.

Anyone know what this is? Thanks for any help.

How did you lock and unlock them? With folder/file permissions or some other method?

This sounds more likely to be a permissions problem than a LibreOffice problem. Can you show the permissions for the folder and files within it?

Third source of problems: Is the snap-container, in wich LibreOffice is delivered by default on *buntu allowed to see this location. Maybe you can only access your $home including desktop.

@Wanderer: does this *buntu -morons really use snap-containers as default

For LibreOffice and Firefox I think they do. (I assume there is still some software in regular install.)
Compare:

I used terminal to change the file permissions. Just a few folders, like medical history and my current tax documents. So no more than a handful. Than when I felt like it, I changed the medical history folder back to normal.

The permissions of that file are all ‘Read & Write’. I’m the only user so the Owner is always the same…me.

So, I just ran a test. I dropped the file in question onto the desktop (only way that LibreOffice will open it for editing) and did a ‘Save As’ and changed it from a .ODT to a .docx. Than I moved them both from the desktop into the medical folder. Tried to open the .ODT with LibreOffice and get the same message that it’s read only. The .docx document, LibreOffice opens it right up.

My conclusions from that test is there is a problem in LibreOffice. When I open the doc from the desktop, and check Properties, File Sharing Options, neither is check marked and there’s no password required.

Well, I discovered a work around. Since there was nothing in that folder that needed any extra security I just created a new folder on the desktop and moved all the files over to the new folder. And LibreOffice than opened the .ODT files like normal.

So, problem solved in the simplest way that I should have figured out earlier. Doh!

Thanks for the help.

This confirms it was a permissions problem.

Found a solution. LO as well as Firefox should be installed woth deb. I followed:

LO was installed via PPA.

This is why ALL posts should include the information copied from the Help/About button. It specifies whether LO is installed via flatpak, PPA, or Snap and a workable solution can be provided MUCH faster.

1 Like