Link UnClickable after Migrate from Excel

Hi folks,

The hyperlink text in Excel cell is no longer Ctrl-Clickable after it is migrated into LibreOffice. Not sure if anyone has met the similar situation.

I have thousands of such links with each one situated in one cell. I need the capability to Ctrl-Click it to open it in a web browser.

I found the text is no longer in hyper link format. I opened the link property, it looks like the image attached at the end of message.

How I can fix this? Thank you!

Best Regards,
David WANG

What does that mean? Normally you would just open an xls(x) file from Calc.

There is an obvious mismatch in the hyperlink as it is a document you want to open, not a webpage. Maybe there is something odd with using OneDrive. I tested opening xlsx with link in local Dropbox without problem.

URLs don’t have backslashes. Replace them with slashes. file://C:/users/HP/OneDrive/… might work.

URLs from Microsoft do.
Example of \xl\externalLinks\_rels\externalLink1.xml.rels

<Relationships>
<Relationship Id="rId1" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/externalLinkPath" Target="file:///O:\FORMS\FNIM.xlsm" TargetMode="External"/>
</Relationships>

While it’s syntactically valid to use \ backslash in an URI it’s semantically questionable to imply a path separator along, the more that even MS’ own file system routines accept the / forward slash instead. On superior file systems I could create a file named O:\FORMS\FNIM.xlsm and let MS chew on it…

1 Like

No, backslashes are syntactically invalid in file URIs; and the standard even devotes appendix E4 to it, explicitly calling this “invalid URI”.

However, as many other implementations, we tolerate such a “variation”; so, while technically it’s invalid, the described problem is not caused by backslashes.

Oh, thanks, I was only looking at RFC 3986 and found it mentioned in 7.3 Back-End Transcoding but not in 3.3 Path.

So, again, MS is just a piece of dirt.

It seems that in Excel you can create a link and prefix it so that it opens in a Microsoft Office document, see Microsoft forum Links to office files opening in browser rather than native application

As an experiment I tried in Word 2010 creating a hyperlink firefox:ofe|u|H:\AskLibreOffice\DisplayScaleWindows11.png which, after a warning, opened the .png in Firefox instead of the usual graphics editor. I have no idea what the ofe|u| means.

That link does not work in Calc, nor does replacing firefox with msedge, and I cannot find another way to pass a program with the link.
AppToOpenFirefoxLink

And we even introduced support for such links in 5.3.
(ofe stands for “Open For Editing”)

However, when working on it, I considered only how to register the scheme in system, and how to call the program with it. I honestly didn’t consider the use from within the program.

But most important is: the schemes must be either registered (like MS ones), or private (like our own vnd.libreoffice.command). Use of a random scheme name for an application is wrong - I’m curious how firefox scheme can work. I explicitly checked that IANA doesn’t list it. It really looks dangerous.

While I think the current topic URL/ URI quite interesting, my first observation on the question would be there is no URL in the URL-field, but only in the “Text”. So I expect this to do nothing, because of an empty URL.
So I would repeat the question by @EarnestAl how this was “migrated” and ask @sinpeople to upload two (shortened) files for inspection. One excel-source (shortened, but without other changes) and the resulting “migrated” file.

1 Like

LOL, I did not even notice that there is no URL at all. I was banned by the text which looks similar to an URL.

Difficult to answer, without your actual file. I guess best would be to find out, why this happened.

On the other side you may need to re-create Hyperlinks, if you can’t find out how you lost them like in this thread: