LO 7.2.5.2 on MacOS Apple silicon no longer recognizes a JRE/JDK

I’m unable to get LO to recognize my JRE/JDK installation on a MacBook Air M1 chip. I’m using the latest LO (7.2.5.2, although I upgraded to this after having the same problem on the previous version) as well as the latest JDK installed from dmg from Oracle (17.0.2). Both are for Apple silicon and have aarm64 in their file name. I’ve looked at the documentation and at all the other similar questions to this on this forum I could find and have found that none of the advice works. I’ve tried pointing LO to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-17.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home/bin, as well as its parent folder, and it tells me that no runtime environment can be found. When it sends me back to the file dialog to choose another location, LO freezes and I have to quit or kill it. (Other instructions I’ve seen say point it to the “java” folder but that doesn’t exist in the JDK installation. The binary files are in “bin.”)

I’ve also tried moving my user folder in case it was a problem with user configuration, but got the same results. I’d be grateful for any help, as I require Java for some of my main extensions. Any ideas? Thanks!

Have you seen

Thanks for your reply, Wanderer. Maybe I’m missing something but in that case, LO was recognizing Java. In my case no Java JDK can be detected, regardless of the path I use.

I just found that if I replace the aarm64 version of LO with the intel version, it works. So there seems to be a problem with LO’s version for Apple architecture where it doesn’t recognize Java in certain cases. (I have both aarm64 and intel versions of Java installed, and the aarm64 version of LO doesn’t recognize either.)

I’m having the exact same issue. Quite frustrating! Hoping to hear about a fix. I’ve tried everything.

@nebedaay1, did you find a solution for this? I have exactly the same problem. My system has OpenJDK11 installed but LO cannot see it. Even if I go to Preferences>LibreOffice>Advanced and navigate to the java installation, all files appear greyed out. Quite frustrating.

1 Like

In a recent similar question, upgrading to LibreOffice 7.3 helped.

I did solve it by installing the intel version of the JDK. However, I since upgraded to LibreOffice 7.3 and reinstalled the Mac silicon version of the JDK and it works. That was an incompatibility issue between the Mac silicon version of LibreOffice and Mac silicon versions of the JDK. As @mikekaganski says, the solution is to upgrade to LibreOffice 7.3.

Thank you for the prompt reply. In my case, I was using LO 7.3 and openJDK v11 from Zulu Labs, which is M1 native. It seems the latter was not compatible with LO 7.3 so I installed the Oracle JDK 17 (also M1 native) and it worked. I tend to avoid Oracle JDK due to the licensing issues so I’ll try to find an openJDK that is both native and compatible with LO 7.3. In the meantime, I got it working with the Oracle’s version. Thanks again!!!

Thanks for the explanation @paulo.costa. That’s good to know, but unfortunate, that OpenJDK still doesn’t work with it despite matching binary types. Hopefully this will be worked out soon, whether the incompatibility is on the LibreOffice side or the OpenJDK side.