LO 7.5.3.2 very slow to start

Since the last update (in Manjaro Linux) LibreOffice has become really slow to start up. This applies to opening an app (Writer, Calc) or opening a document even when there’s already an instance running.

$ time libreoffice --writer --nologo

(soffice:3049153): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:15:47.908: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(soffice:3049153): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:15:47.908: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(soffice:3049153): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:16:13.546: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(soffice:3049153): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:16:13.546: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

real	0m52.774s
user	0m2.274s
sys	0m0.522s

Version: 7.5.3.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 50(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.3; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: ga-IE (ga_IE.UTF-8); UI: ga-IE
7.5.3-2
Calc: threaded

Please consider that it tales one second for you to get and post the information from your LibreOffice’s HelpAbout, but it is nearly impossible for others to know what is the “last update” in a random Linux Distro (of unknown version itself, by the way).

Recently, I recall several reports on Linux similar to tdf#42673 (Windows)…

“random”?? It’s rolling release based on Arch Linux, so it doesn’t have any meaningful version number.

The LO version is in the subject line, but I’ll add the other info fwiw.

… which is why the full info from the LibreOffice is doubly important (thanks for providing that!). Are you confused by the “random” word? Not everyone has to know what distros may exist, and what flavors they have, and what their local policies are, to be able to answer questions related to LibreOffice here; for everyone outside of the bubble, they are random :wink:

See also: Slow startup time

It seems, the Linux-specific bug can be still not filed (?)

Or:
tdf#155564
tdf#155498
tdf#155221

and eventually

It just seemed a little unnecessary and came off as a bit aggressive.

That looks like an unholy mess. Thanks for the research. Honestly you could have stopped at “Slow startup time”.

… but the gnome bug is fixed, which gives hope :wink:

I think it’s ‘fixed’.

There is a manjaro forum solution

I have same version of libreoffice and same issue on manjaro
Version: 7.5.3.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 50(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.1; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.utf8); UI: en-GB
7.5.3-2
Calc: threaded

pacman -Qs xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
local/xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 44.1-2 (gnome)