LO calc .ods file 'exploding'

recently several .ods files increased heavily in size for no apparent reason (maybe since LO 7.3.1 but not sure). Typically from ~40k to ~40M. Looking at those files with Ark quite a few objects instances (>25) of a big png file are visible (always the same one ~1.4M) which was never built in in the problematic files while I looked at in a different file. It is also listed in Meta-INF/manifest.xml. The png pic is not visible in the spreadsheet nor in the navigator. Links there point as expected to their corresponding images and objects.
It is possible to get rid of the png file within Ark reducing the file size to ~1M but well…By the way loading is always fast. Has somebody else run into this ? Is there a better way to fix the file ?

ods file ‘archive’

(OS openSUSE TW 20220313)

I would hazard a guess that there is an embedded OLE object (png image) anchored in a cell and that cell has been copied and pasted to other places.

Double clicking on Object1 in Navigator should apply handles to the object which can be clicked on and deleted. Continue until gone. The embedded images might be stacked on top of each other.

thanks for your logic hint. Unfortunately the dubious png image is not visible in calc nor does any link in the navigator point to it. I was puzzled when that png appeared in another ods completely unrelated. Another detail that I realize: the png image was used in an xls file that was simultaneously opened. An internal conversion or transfer buffer that is saved by mistake maybe ?

Highly doubtable that anything would be saved by mistake from a different document.
Rather copied by mistake or referenced by some means and then embedded.
Without a sample file not much to guess.

I tried reproducing the issue by embedding an OLE embedded png

• Is it visible in the sheet? No, it is not visible, see cells above and below the one with the object selected (double-clicked in Navigator), I copied the cell so the same object is embedded in those cells.
  • Does it show as png in Navigator? No, it shows as OLE object or possibly a Drawing object.
    OLEObject(PNG)Enbedded

I am not able to say how it got there in your spreadsheet but usual route for repetition is clipboard.

1 Like

thank you for your support. I tried to reproduce my problem (with publishable content) but I could not so far. Of course I get the same result as you, invisible embedded OLE pics and everything else as expected like the object pointing to the graphs. But remember the dubious png pic appeared as an object in Ark, not embedded object.
I’m fully aware that many problems are created by the one pushing the mouse himself. But inadvertently inserting an (unrelated) object into my spreadsheet more than 25 times in a row is really unlikely. Maybe this will remain a mistery.
https://paste.opensuse.org/71621019