LO version mismatch in Linux Mint LMDE 6

Looking the LibreOffice version through command line get an version number notorius lower than I expect. 7.4.7.2 rather 24.8.1 from the main page.
What coul be happenning?
it’s the same version or I need to install from the web site?
I use lmde 6 by the way.

Possibly you have two versions of LibreOffice installed. Check where is the command that you use from the command line to start LO, and compare with the command used in the application launcher.

1 Like

LMDE is based on Debian Bookworm, so the latest LibreOffice would be 7.4.7.2. This is what you get with Debian stable. Reliable, tested software, without the latest, but possibly bug-introducing, features.

Debian -- Details of package libreoffice-core in bookworm

If you want the latest LibreOffice, you need to install the Debian-packages from the LibreOffice website or use the flatpak. But unless you need some of the features of the latest version, version 7.4 works just fine.

… and without the latest, but possibly bug-fixing, changes.
The idea of old versions being “reliable” is laughable. If we only added features… Each version brings dozens of fixes of old bugs, sometimes not even known - just some problems found by ever-evolving static analyzers, that caught some suspicious code lingering around for decades and reliably causing problems.

Note also the change in numbering to year/month, so 24.x followed 7.6.x