Macro to index words won't operate.

I am unable to get a macro to add a word to the index. I do it longhand without a problem. The ‘updated’ index then shows the word. Following that procedure while the macro is in recording mode, and then closing the macro properly, does not add the previously selected word to the index. I do not use the mouse in this process. All guidance gratefully received.
Best regards

Chris

Why don’t you just assign a keyboard shortcut to insert Index Entry?

Click Tools > Customise, select the tab labelled Keyboard. In the top pane, Shortcut keys, find a key combination that is free and is easy to remember for the shortcut, maybe something like Alt+I . In the bottom left pane, Category, select Insert. In the bottom right pane, Function, select Index Entry. Click button Modify

DId you read what I wrote?
I can make a macro, I cant’t make a macro that will add a word to an existing index.

It seems to me that you were going to “will move to windows to use word and its macro functions”. However, you are still here and still confident that you can make a macro. What happened? (Mind you, I’m not being aggressive - I’m just asking)

I’d rather stick with LibreOffice and will have to explore whether windoze is any better. Check your ‘Confidence barometer’! It’s faulty.
I’m sure you weren’t being aggressive first time round either, it was just impatience I guess.

In general, I can and do make and use macros. It seems that Index additions is beyond its capabilities. And that’s not in the manual.
Thanks for your time.

Hi, I can assign a keyboard shortcut to insert Index Entry, but it only opens the window allowing me to add the word or not.

I was looking for a process that was this simple, double click the word, press the assigned function key, job done.

your suggestion, workable as it is, goes, double click the word, Select the ‘Insert Index Entry’ box and select ‘Insert’ then select ‘Close’. Four actions as opposed to Two.
If the focus was transferred to that ‘Insert Index Entry’ box, then, perhaps, I need only hit return, but it doesnt.

I have thousands of entries to add, my dream of ‘select and add with a function key’ seemed possible.

It has not worked out that way, and, to be honest, I’d really like to know why.

Three clicks as dialog can be left open, use refresh to add next double clicked word.

If your thousands of entries are not commonly used words then creating a concordance file might be quicker.

There is also, in the dialog, the option of Apply to all similar texts to index every occurrence of a particular word.