Mail Merge using Base

I was planning on creating address labels using mail merge with my LibreOffice Base database as the source. When trying to create the connection between the Writer labels document and the database, I go to the Address Book data Source Wizard, select “other external data source”, click the “Settings” button on the next page, then go to Database type and select ODBC. On the next page I click the “Browse” button to navigate to my .odb database file. But I get the message “Could not load the program library libiodbc.dylib or it is corrupted. The ODBC data source selection is not available.” I searched, and the library file is not on my computer. I upgraded to the latest version of LibreOffice, 7.1.7. That did not help. What is the best solution to my problem? (I’m working on a Mac running MacOS 11.6)

Hello,

Since you have a database already, there is no need to create another. Your existing database needs to be registered → Registering and Deleting a Database ( note on Mac options are under LibreOffice->Preferences.
This post contains links to print labels → Is there a way to print mailing labels in LibreOffice?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I think I have everything set up as I should.

Here is a screenshot of the sheet of labels I have prepared which shows the data source for the fields.
Edited by @Ratslinger to remove image (not needed anyway).
However, when I go to print the labels, the data is not brought into the fields. Rather the field names are printed on the paper. What do I need to do next?

Thank you. I was so glad to hear back from you.

Brian.

In the on-line instructions, the last paragraph is:

When you choose to print the document, you will be asked if you want to print a form letter. Answer Yes to open the Mail Merge dialog. In the Mail Merge dialog, you can select the records for which you want to print labels.

Did you do that? Most people seem to respond with No here but Yes is needed as response to form letter.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply. Earlier I had seen that I needed to say “yes” to the question about printing a form letter, but then I’d forgotten it. The programmers need to change the question on the panel before they publish the next update. They could say, “Do you want to merge the fields?” or “Do you want to print a form letter or labels?”

When I started to print the labels, I saw that I was going to have 90 pages with 30 of the same label on each page. I remembered that I had seen the solution to this problem. With the field names displayed on the labels document on the screen, put your cursor at the end of the last field. The go to Insert → Fields → More Fields. With the “Database” tab selected, and your data source selected in the right panel, choose “Next record” in the left panel. Then click the “insert” button.

With that new field as the last field in the first label, click to synchronize all the labels.

Now when I go to print the labels, each record prints on just one label.

I am good to go! I can now get ready to mail out my Christmas cards.

I really appreciate your help.

Have pondered over why this happened to you. Have not had this occurrence. It appears you did not go through the Label process as noted in the link. If you had, there would be no need to display the Data Sources as you have.

Also as I look at the image, is this personal/confidential information? It should be test data.