Maximum number of columns exceeded warning

FYI - This appears to still be an issue in version 7.3.4.2 when opening both .xls, .xlsx, and .ods formats created in earlier versions. Using sample files with only one sheet and with only meaningful data in the first approx. 50 rows and approx. 15 columns, the error still shows up. I could not find any conditional formatting or other non-default formatting in other non-data cells, so I’m not sure where else I could look to try to help troubleshoot.

I hope this is helpful.

I have Calc 6.0.6.2 and still have the same problem:

Warning loading document
wookbook.xlsx: The data could not be
loaded completely because the maximum
number of columns per sheet was
exceeded.

Any update?

See my answer and comment by @erAck - so if you actually happen to have more than 1024 columns, it’s expected.

I am using LibreOffice Calc version 6.3.4.2, my workbook (xlsx) has three sheets.
(Sheet 1: 6 columns , 10000 rows.) (Sheet 2: 6 columns, 202 rows) (Sheet 3: 11 columns , 212 rows)
-----> This problem still exists.

I am currently using LibreOffice 6.2.3.2 on macOS 10.14.5., and both are the most current versions available.

The maximum number of columns exceeded and data not loaded warning is still present.

The AKC (American Kennel Club – https://www.akc.org) has an Excel spreadsheet named Fast_CAT_Results_Tool.xlsx, and it may be downloaded free of charge from http://images.akc.org/pdf/Fast_CAT_Results_Tool.xlsx.

When you load that file, you will see the warning, and maybe somebody who knows more than me can fix it.

Then there something is using excess columns, if not content then maybe formatted or something else. In this case it’s conditional formatting of which several are applied up to column XFD, like

<conditionalFormatting sqref="A2:XFD3 A18:XFD1048576 A15:A17 J15:XFD17 A1:F1 I1:XFD1 A4 F4:XFD4 C4 J7:XFD7 B6:XFD6 B8:XFD13">

And btw, your answer is not an answer to the original question, so please use add a comment for such.

Still a warning in 6.3.4.2 on OS/X but does open the document:

“Warning loading document sample.xlsx:
The data could not be loaded completely because the maximum number of columns per sheet was exceeded.”

Version: 6.3.4.2
Build ID: 60da17e045e08f1793c57c00ba83cdfce946d0aa

Please do not use the Answer field for comments that are not an answer to the original question, use add a comment instead. Thanks.

Still same warning in 7.2.5.2 499f9727c189e6ef3471021d6132d4c694f357e5 on macOS 11.6

WTF spreadsheets I had opened a few months ago are now doing this ? 7.3.7.2

@MasterCATZ If you seek help: Open your own question and give people a chance to help, by uploading a sample file and telling, wich Version of LO you use on wich OS.
Otherwise seek help in prayer or meditation until some clairvoyant may find a solution…
IMHO this thead should be closed. It is unlikely anything useful can be added to the original topic (besides a summary)