Merging of data sets to align matching data

Hello everyone,

I’m not really good at Calc and even if I know the basics, I really need help on this one. (Also English is not my first language, sorry for the possible mistakes)

For a university project I’m working on data about countries of the world. To make it simple, let’s say I need to align data of two data set : one is about population of every country of the world, the other is about the GDP of every country of the world.

However, the list is different on each data set. One contains around 260 countries and group of countries, the other 200. But I need to merge (fusion ? I’m not sure about the proper word) the two datas to align each country’s population and GDP on a single list, which would contain the 260 countries. So, in the end, instead of having four columns (country, population, country, GDP) I would have only three (country, population, GDP) but of course the GDP is aligned with each corresponding country and therefore population.

I join a screenshot which illustrates what I would like to do.
Capture d'écran 2024-04-05 194449

If this can help, number country codes (from 1 to 999) or letter country codes (from AAA to ZZZ) are sometimes used in some datas sets.

For the moment, I can’t see an other solution that putting the columns next to each other, sorted from A to Z, and looking, by hand, if the country of one list is on the another one ; if not, add a line or delete a line on one of the two columns, and all of that until all the countries are aligned.

I already did that a few time, and it takes ages ; and I know I will need to do a similar operation (about other datas set that need to be merged with the others) multiple times again.

In the exemple a solution would be to download a dataset which already contains the two datas I need, in the case of population & GDP it exists, but I need 15-20 variables for my work and trust me no database in the internet contains them all. So my problem is not for my example only. However, I thought that it would simplier for anyone that would and could help me to solve the example so I can understand easier and then apply the solution to every data sets.

Any help will be very appreciated, thank you very much ! Good evening you all.

and for a more general idea … Join (SQL) - Wikipedia

Na terceira coluna do primeiro bloco, use PROCV, buscando informação no segundo bloco. E com validação, se no bloco 2, houver item diferente do bloco 1, será marcado.

In the third column of the first block, use VLOOKUP, searching for information in the second block. And with validation, if in block 2, there is an item different from block 1, it will be marked.

Precad_ask_en_104409.ods (13,3,KB)