Multi-language spell checking in Writer

Hello everyone,

I would like to have German spell checking in LO as well. It seems like that one should install it as an extension. I’ve done it with DE-farmi, it is listed as an extension, but I can not select German as the language of any text. German does not show up as a language option. Same menu appears fot Tool → Language.

Tools → Spelling has a drop-down menu to select the language to be used. German is listed there, but I can not select it. After clicking to German, the menu jumps back to its empty state.

I do not want to change the interface language or the default document language.

The question seems trivial, but something is missing from the many solutions already in the forum or in the internet or I’ve just not been able to find the good search phrases: how to add additional languages for spell checking a document? (Later I would like to add additional languages as well)

Version: 6.0.7.3
Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group

Thanks it seems to work!

Though I find it extremely strange and confusing, that LO uses some kind of language detection and it only allows to select paragraph language between the default and his guess. Very often I can’t select from the full list of installed languages.

In Windows, LO simply applies current language. I. e., when you switch the input to another language, the text language changes. Unfortunately, not in Linux.

Thus, create and use paragraph / character styles with necessary languages.

Hello,

but something is missing from the many solutions already in the forum

The problem (esp. on Linux) is the fact, that packaging is not the same on all GNU/Linux systems. The packaging of LibreOffice is done by the distribution maintainers on their own preferences and does not match with the packaging provided by The Document Foundation (libreoffice.org). Hence there is no general procedure description. In your “Ubuntu-case” your need to

check dpkg --list | awk '/hunspell-de/{print $1,$2,$3,$5,$6}' - the result should be something like that.

ii hunspell-de-at-frami 1:6.0.3-3 German (Austria)
ii hunspell-de-ch-frami 1:6.0.3-3 German (Switzerland)
ii hunspell-de-de-frami 1:6.0.3-3 German dictionary

If not - install using sudo apt install hunspell-de-de-frami (others are optional)

Remark The extension is not required (at least I don’t have it on my Ubuntu 18.04 test system)

Hope that helps.

If the answer helped to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.