Native Page Numbers on TOC

My OS: Windows 11
LibreOffice Version: 7.5.3.2
Locale Setting: Bengali (Bangladesh)

I’m editing and formatting a thousand pages long dissertation in native Bengali language (also known as Bangla by the way). I want the page numbers on my TOC to be shown in Bengali language. How do I do that?

My footers contain native page numbering (i.e. in Bengali language). Also my chapter numbering (Tools > Chapter Numbering) has been set to Native Numbering.

I’m attaching below a dummy screenshot of my TOC where the page numbers are shown in English

Thanks and gratitudes for your nice work.

You didn’t tell how you obtained Bengali page numbers in your footer. I assume you selected Bengali when you Insert>Page Number. This will change the appearance of page numbers in the footer but keeps the default Western numeric form internally. Later when you capture the page number to generate the TOC, this internal form is used.

To change the “internal” form, customise your page style(s). Your document may use several page styles if you structure into different parts with various headers and footer or even different page numbers (such as Latin in TOC or indexes).
Open your page style(s) with a right-click on their name in the side style pane and Modify.

1. go to Page tab
  2. select the to-be-default variant in Page numbers menu
  3. OK
1 Like

After inserting page number (Insert > Page Number), I double clicked on the page number field in my footer, and the “Edit Fields” dialogue box appeared. On its right column (“Format”), I choose “Native Numbering”. (Screenshot attached below.)

Well, I have page styles of course: First Page, Index Page, Default Page. First Page Style contains no page number. Index Page Style contains Roman lower case numbering. Default Page Style contains Native Numbering,

Thank you very much for your response. Gratefully I appreciate further help if possible.

Well, ajlittoz, it is solved now. Thank you very very much.

From the Layout Settings field in the lower-right part of Default Page Style dialogue box (screenshot attached), I selected Native Numbering. Magic!

Thanks again.

1 Like