Numbered list with variable lettered sublists in writer

Try unticking the AutoCorrect setting Delete spaces and tabs at the beginning and end of paragraph

[Edit] Ignore the paragraph above. The paragraphs must still be there as they take up vertical space in your screenshot but I cannot see the formatting marks.

1 Like

Yes the paragraphs are still there; Sorry about forgetting to show the formatting marks.

What would be beneficial would be to have a paragraph style available with a list style that is useful to me attached or inherited when it is used. (ie. academic excercise list style paragraph). But the program only lists its own proprietary styles, not newly created ones. It has its favorites, and I cannot change those.

I note also that despite my having created a list style here described (indented number/ letters hierarchically arranged), it doesn’t appear as an available list style in any documents that I return to. One tries to edit and save and maintain new options in the default templates, but sadly, thousands of older documents will not have this available, and I don’t know the means to retrieving it for use in all documents. I’ve tried deleting all of the templates that are older in order to force the program to default to the user-modified defualt template when opening older documents; but this did not work either.
ah well.
Thanks again for your trouble!

The easiest way to copy a style over to another document is to copy and paste a paragraph from one document to the other. Apply the style that appears in the styles list to an existing paragraph, then you can delete the pasted paragraph.

This is what I suggested in the last part of my answer: modify built-in Numbering 1 paragraph style to attach to it a custom-made list style with the required properties. You can link a list style to a paragraph style in the Outline & List tab of the paragraph style.

Obviously, from yours answers, you are not a computer expert (no offence intended). Your server probably does something on the files. So, please, attach a sample file from your computer and the same file after you retrieved it from the server. Make the sample file as short as possible (not exceeding one page). We’ll analyse them.