Numbering characters are incorrect

System: Win7 Pro, 32 bit
LibreOffice: 4.1.4.2
Document type: both .doc and .odt

I have a 20 page Text document that is entirely a numbered list with 7 levels. Every time I open the document the numbering changes to strikethrough and the numbers/letters of the numbering change to odd characters.

If I “select all”, choose Format-Bullets & Numbering, and select the Options tab I can see that each level now has a Character Style of “WW8Num2z0” (or similar). If I change the Character Style to “None” the numbering returns to its correct formatting. But the next time I open the document the formatting lost and I have to repeat the process to fix it.

Any know reason why? Or how to permanently fix the issue?

Just checking: did you save the document after reformatting?

From your description:

If I “select all”, choose Format-Bullets & Numbering, and select the Options tab I can see that each level now has a Character Style of “WW8Num2z0” (or similar).

… this is simply an indication that the file has been saved into the Word 97-2003 (.doc) format. There are several open bugs relating to ordered lists in the DOC/DOCX formats, but I can’t find anything that specifically mentions the strikethrough issue. It may be that you have Record Changes (Edit > Changes > uncheck the Show option) set to display?