odt file does not exist

People use things like Finder, and do not know Finder is a file manager. They think that calling it file manager is more geeky than calling a WV “a car” - i.e., instead of using “proper name” of your software, call it using name of its class. They think that it’s specific to “Open source software help forum answers” to call things what they are, when in fact it’s more about “you are on a place where people might not know what your OS is; and even if they knew, they might not know the software name because they use a different one”. Is it much different when one gets an advise “take a hammer drill to make a hole in the wall” instead of “use your Bosch”?

They even blame and put shame on those who try to help people because of that. Pity.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I sounded flippant, I hope I apologized for that to begin with. I posted with too much frustration over what I (we) see as jargon that bars finding a solution that an answer-er sees as common usage. I should have been more careful with my usage of geek as it can be both a term of admiration, but also derision. The point I wanted to make is that the “does not exist” question (as an example) has been going on in with multiple searches for at least the two years judging by Google and every attempt to answer it over that time with stated operating systems has led to a dead end, not just for me. It is obvious it’s not answered. If I understand, file manager is Finder for Apple. For Microsoft, Wikipedia says file manager is called File Explorer from Windows Explorer. I thought Explorer was their browser. The point is file manager is a term of art and as such has a particular meaning within the computing field apart from the ordinary world. Recognizing this is important.

It doesn’t really matter what the file manager is called. What is important is that people learn how to use their file manager (whatever it might be called) early in their experience of learning how to use their computer. “Early” is the key word.

As it turns out, intelligent use of a file manager is the answer to many of the problems reported here on this user help site. This is a result of many people trying to use a computer and some applications on it without first learning any of the benefits of a file manager or how to use it. It is sort of like driving a car in the rain without even knowing that the car has windshield wipers or how to turn them on, and blaming all of their problems on the brake pedal instead.

1 Like