Old story, still: collect footnotes at the end of document, restart numbering per chapter

hi,

first off, using footnotes as endnotes is an ugly workaround…
I think, in the spirit of HTML5, it should be avoided…
everything should be what it is used for…

anyhow,
at this moment, still, Libreoffice doesn’t allow you to collect endnotes with restarting numbers per chapter…
and with chapter titles

therefore, we take the ugly quark mode…

try using footnotes for endnotes…
but it doesn’t work either…

my question:
why on earth can it not be made possible?
people who write – “users” as some people say – would like to have this functionality…
and it makes sense anyway, so why not?

so, when we try to use the ugly workaround (in 2022),
a problem comes up: how do you define “document” ? :))

naturally enough, we use a document and several sections in it as linked in documents…

we would hope libreoffice to treat sections as documents…
but it doesn’t happen…

then we go “chapter numbering”… another workaround…

still, it won’t work…

cause as soon as you select “at the end of the document”,
the “per page”, “per chapter” options disappear…

logical? yes…
but it is incredible that such a sophisticated software cannot do this simple thing…

question 2:

how should people using Libreoffice Writer
collect their endnotes with renumbering per chapter (chapter = starting with h1 tag)?

I’ve read several suggestions, several solutions,
in this thread, see this link,
PYS uploaded a sample document…
but it takes very low level style editing to make it actually work…

so, what is the official suggestion?

thank you,

Peter

What is this rant for here? You want to talk to fellow users and express your frustration? You don’t resolve it writing here; nor you would get anything “official” on a user-to-user Ask site.

The technical problem is that it is not implemented, that notes are output with own “headings” - otherwise, there’s no way to output them so that endnote 1 for chapter X is distinguishable from endnote 1 for chapter Y. And it will not be implemented, until someone implements it. And no one will implement it, until a developer is either interested themselves, or is paid for the work. And it doesn’t happen by ranting here. File enhancement (even if it a dupe - you show how it’s important by dupe count); or start crowdfunding; or contact some developer directly with funding offer… Or implement it yourself - we would love to greet more developers.

2 Likes

If you are looking for a solution, describe accurately the expected result and how you tried to achieve it. We could then suggest improvements.

1 Like

I am disappointed for sure, but ranting was not my intention, nor do I think it would be productive, not to mention helpful… sorry for the tone then…

and yes, I absolutely agree with what you say…
that is, if this functionality doesn’t exist…
it will only exist if developers decide to make it…

I only had to find out if it existed, or a viable workaround was possible

and yes, feature request is where we people should turn to…
I will…
I just had to make sure first… cause lately I had reported a bug which,
turned out, was not a bug at all, but my lack of knowledge, not knowing what “Direct Cursor Mode” was… (which I think is a bad direction in development, BTW)

sorry for the tone…
but it very probably was not an accident…
cause I really am impatient…
cause when it comes to live editing for printing, you have to have 100% control of your tools…

thanks for your answer, at least now I know for sure, that it is not possible
to have the endotes appear by chapters…
and I believe this information will be big help for all writers / editors who
trust Writer and base their project on it…

thanks, really

1 Like

hi,
I will, as you both appear to suggest, file an enhancement request (or suggestion)

what I was asking after (believing that writers need this functionality) is being able to
have the endnotes appear by chapters… and optionally have their numbering restart by chapters…

the way I approached it was opening the footenotes / endnotes menu…
and looking for options…

and it was there that for a few weeks I thought that a workaround was possible
using footnotes as endnotes…
and get their numbering restart per chapter…
and even have two separators, as the interface / menu suggests,
for end / beginning of footnotes…
there are so many ask-libreo topics about this…
and each have a solution… while in reality such a solution does not exist…
this is what this topic is good for… drawing this conclusion (for the time being, February, 2022)

the “footnotes for endnotes” workaround proved to be a dead end…
which I think is GOOD news, cause a clear-cut, dedicated functionality can be developed…

Of course, the factory solution doesn’t exist, but if you’re facing a deadline for some book, we can help to find an acceptable surrogate. Inserting the chapter heading among the notes is easy with fields and a little trick for the note anchor.
If you want to restart the note number by chapter, there is no other way than put the chapter notes at end of the chapter. When you collect them all at end of document (either as “footnotes” or endnotes), the notes get numbered as a whole and there is no way to counteract.

While experimenting to find a “nice” (i.e. automated) workaround, I think I stumbled on a bug. Analysing.

See tdf#147400

You seem to feel bad for filing that issue - but you should not feel sorry for that; and please don’t hesitate to file bugs in the future - even if it’s closed NOTABUG, you would get an explanation, and we will get information about something being sub-optimal in documentation or UI.

Which I agree BTW :wink: