Open Office Text Looks Better

I’ve been using Open Office for quite some time but I’ve decided to switch to Libre Office. I mostly use it for Calc and I noticed in the document I’ve been using that the Text and Numbers look a lot better in Open Office than they do in Libre Office. I do have Anti Aliasing checked in both Apps. I have tried different Fonts but still they look more…rough for the lack of a better term…in Libre. Any settings I might be missing ? Has anyone else noticed this ? I am using Win 7 64 bit. Thanks in advance for any help.

You didn’t mention your LO version, but I assume it’s 5.3.x. There has been work on text layout engine in 5.3, which enabled us to use the same engine (HarfBuzz) across all platforms consistently. However, this work revealed some problems that need to be addressed further, e.g. the need for subpixel positioning, as well as some fonts poor hinting. See e.g. Font-rendering version 5.3. The problems mostly affect low-dpi monitors, and don’t degrade printing quality. OTOH the change makes LO show documents more consistently regardless of OS it works on, and the problems will be eventually fixed.

You may use 5.2.x to avoid the problem, or you may try to improve e.g. fonts, like in the links above.

Yes I installed 5.3 whatever the latest version was a few days ago on the Win 7 machine. Thanks for your answer. At least now I know it’s not my eyes going bad. I will read the link above and see if I can get some hints. But you say it will eventually be fixed and it’s not that bad of an issue so I’ll just wait for future updates rather than using 5.2. For the record I’m on my Linux Mint computer now and LO looks fine. Thanks again for your answer and for making Libre Office !