opening docx or xlsx docs from explorer fail, txt, odt,ods fine

Have never installed MS Office on PC, always been Libre only. Upgraded to Windows 10, can no longer open xlsx or docx files from explorer or related (web browsers, etc). Uninstalled, reinstalled same issue. txt, ods, odt sorta work fine. What is peculiar is that in control panel, default programs, cannot override or change any document to Libre products, even if they are unrelated to MS Office. I.e I cannot associate IEPP files with Libre Write. Same behavior, Libre 4 or 5. Windows errors out and says you need elevation (of rights) and dead ends there, txt, ods, odt also require elevation but if you change swrite, etc to run as administrator (in properties) the non MS extensions still error, but allow you to continue with an okay. Tried importing HKey_Classes_Root.docx, etc from working Win7 machine, no change in behavior. Only reference I am seeing online to error is everyone blames user and tells them to change default programs in control panel, not an option here as setting any extension to Libre Products forces any extension to stay undefined.

Hi Micro Consulting

I cannot assist with Windows 10 (the last win I used was XP) but, with LO, the very first thing to do with strange errors like this is to reset to a Default Profile:-

Re-Setting to a Default Profile:

“If you notice any strange behaviour on LibreOffice, or simply it fails to start, the first thing to try is to reset the user profile.”

Note that Profile folders/directories are hidden, so use methods suitable for your OS to enable you to view them.

1. Close down LO/OO + the Quickstarter
  1. Go to your profile
  2. Rename the folder
  3. Restart LO & try again

(this re-creates a default Profile)

If this helps then please tick the answer (:heavy_check_mark:)

…and/or show you like it with an uptick ()