Opening multiple files in tabs (optional function or extension)

Do you know if there is a way or will be a way to open multiple files in different tabs in the same app window (Writer, Calc, Base, etc…), without multiple finesre opening? Even choosing to turn this option on or off as needed? Because sometimes you need to have multiple tabs and sometimes multiple windows paired.
I mean both as internal functions of LibreOffice, and external extensions.
Thanks!

1 Like

Did you mean something like this? I do not think that your request will be implemented in the near future, there are not so many people who want to have an all-in-one

It’s surprising that this feature isn’t more in demand. Tabs are the norm with web browsers now. Atlantis Word Processor has this and it’s very useful, especially when paired with “Reload open documents at startup”.

Hello,

there is no way to have documents in tabs, neither via internal function nor with an extension. There is a pretty old feature request (if I understand the request correytly) tdf#37134 Tabbed UI: Document-per-tab (similar to Firefox, Opera, gedit) MDI about that.

Hope that answers your question.

1 Like

The original ancestor of LibreOffice was StarOffice by StarDivision. It was Windows-only and used the then well-known Windows MDI (MultiDocumentInterface) which supported tabbed document views. In addition it capured the complete Win desktop into its own StarDesktop. I still have a running StarOffice 5.2 (C)2000 by SUN Microsystems then, and what I described works flawlessly under Win 10.
I liked the tabbed interface, and the desktop capturing, too.
When more recent branches of “our” software went multi-platform, I suspected this was the reason for abandoning MDI. You see, I’m old but badly informed concerning relevant aspects.
Might somebody tell me the “true history”?
Are Linux GUIs supporting MDI (or equivalent) available?
Had SUN with their Solaris an MDI?

Are Linux GUIs supporting MDI (or equivalent) available?

At least Qt toolkit used in KDE Frameworks 5 supports QMdiArea Class

Thanks so much! Too bad … We hope to find a solution in the future.