Pasted text adds unwanted footnotes to endnotes

I’m using the latest libre office 5.2.6.2 on windows 7 machine. I’m copying a free book from the web into libre office documents. The book exists online with each chapter on its own webpage. Each chapter is roughly 20-30ish pages long with endnotes contained as superscript numbers in the text and the endnotes themselves at the end of the chapter. I copied the first few chapters into seperate libre office documents and saved them with no problems, the superscript endnote anchors appear as they appear in the webpage and the endnotes are shown at the end of the chapters as I expected.
Then when pasting chapter 7 libre office suddenly adds in unwanted blank footnotes at the end of each page while including the superscript anchors in the text as expected and the endnotes at the end of the chapter also as expected. I cant see any difference between the endnotes in the earlier chapters and the troublesome endnotes in chapter 7. I tried closing and opening a new document, I tried pasting using keyboard shortcuts and right click mouse menu, I tried pasting chapter 7 into one of the earlier chapters, but no matter what I do it always pastes with these unwanted blank footnotes (example image included). I also tried all the available paste options but the only 2 results I can obtain are correctly formatted text with the unwanted footnotes, or text with all the formatting removed - ie the superscript endnote anchor numbers changed to normal sized numbers.
I want to remove the unwanted footnotes from each page without removing all the other helpful formatting but cant find any way to do so, I spent a couple of hours reading the help, and FAQs and googling online but can find no solution. Ideally I would like to be able to paste directly what I see on the webpage without the libre software parsing the pasted text as code (which I assume is the problem) or else a second best solution would be to change the superscript anchors from unwanted footnote anchors to endnote anchors or else just plain superscript numbers while also keeping the endnote text at the end of the chapter.
Any help, suggestions etc. would be gratefully received.

PS I tried to upload the image of the unwanted footnotes but I got a message saying “3 points required to upload files” whatever that means?

Regards etc

If the footnote anchors are included in the highlighted text when you copy, then the footnotes themselves will be copied and pasted. It is probably easiest just to delete their anchors after pasting - they are easy to find - as this deletes the footnotes as well.

Edit > Paste Special …, and choose Unformatted Text strips the footnotes and all the formatting.

It took a while but I found a workaround for this which I will now outline for the record:

i pasted the problematic text into a Thunderbird text editing window, highlighted all the text and then used the Format > Remove Links option. I then copied and pasted the text back into Libre. This method kept the text in the original formatting, ie kept the end note anchors in superscript font, which I did not want to lose, while also getting rid of whatever was causing Libre to parse the endnotes as footnotes. And so the result is Libre no longer created the unwanted footnotes at the bottom of each page and the text is still nicely formatted for reading.

(Note: I still dont understand why only this one chapter out a dozen caused the problem?)